• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removal of Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? PA

I know this problem does not fits under any catagory in this forum so I chose this one. I am changing doctors due to the doctor that I have had for past five years (who took care of my wife and child-since birth) was forced to retire due to an undisclosed illness. Anyway, her paitents and my family had to deal with her partner, after about 4-5 visits we disliked her diagnosis's on my entire families matters. To be honest we think she is an idot.

Now. my wife enformed me that doctors charge for removal, copy or transfer of our records to another doctor. If I request the removal of our original records from her office, how can they charge me. I understand a copy of the records, you would charge for xeroxing/paper and USPS transfer would also cost. But if I went to current doctors office and asked for the removal of records in the office and I would take the records to new doctor myself, how can I be charged.

Is there a state law allows them to charge me for removal of records, our of curiosity.

Last edited:

lealea1005

I know this problem does not fits under any catagory in this forum so I chose this one. I am changing doctors due to the doctor that I have had for past five years (who took care of my wife and child-since birth) was forced to retire due to an undisclosed illness. Anyway, her paitents and my family had to deal with her partner, after about 4-5 visits we disliked her diagnosis's on my entire families matters. To be honest we think she is an idot.

Now. my wife enformed me that doctors charge for removal, copy or transfer of our records to another doctor. If I request the removal of our original records from her office, how can they charge me. I understand a copy of the records, you would charge for xeroxing/paper and USPS transfer would also cost. But if I went to current doctors office and asked for the removal of records in the office and I would take the records to new doctor myself, how can I be charged.

Is there a state law allows them to charge me for removal of records, our of curiosity.
Your Physician is the "care taker" of your medical records and must keep the originals for 7 years if you are an adult and much longer than that in the case of a minor. They can only transfer copies of your medical records, not the originals. They may charge you a reasonable fee for the service as allowed by your state's health article code. The fee ususally includes an administrative fee, a "per page" copy fee, and postage. They also must include your entire medical record and cannot pick and choose what they, or you, wish to send to your new Physician.

I hope this information has helped you.

PS: It take time to get used to a new Physician and their practice style. Give her a chance.;)

Last edited:

convoy71

Well our PCP retired and we do not accept her partner as our PCP, but your saying she must keep our records for seven years? Why can't we have our records removed from her office to our new PCP.

Last edited:

lealea1005

Well our PCP retired and we do not accept her partner as our PCP, but your saying she must keep our records for seven years? Why can't we have our records removed from her office to our new PCP.

If she took over the practice, she retains possession of your medical record. You can have copies of your records sent to another PCP.

Last edited:

panzertanker

The misconception most people have is that they are "your records".
The truth is, they are MY records of you (the patient), and I am required by law to maintain them for 7 years. You are entitled to COPIES of MY records, but I (your PCP) am allowed to charge you for those records that I have accumulated over the years.

You may not like the new PCP, but she took over your previous PCP'c practice so she is the new "custodian of records" and that includes "your" records that she now maintains.

It is not a personal thing, it is a legality that must be met.

Hope that helps you understand.

ecmst12

Yes they have to keep the records on every person they have seen for 7 years whether that person is a current patient or not. Even if the patient is deceased, I believe! This is in case of legal action against the doctor, or an investigation of the practice by any regulating body, or other situation that could require those medical records. They can't simply throw them away or send them somewhere else because you ask them to, there are serious legal repercussions for destroying medical records.

The charge for photocopying records is usually minimal, and not all offices charge it. But this is not a way to get around paying it.

ellencee

Is there a state law allows them to charge me for removal of records, our of curiosity.[/Q" UOTE]You don't have to have your records "removed" from the doctor's office in order for your new MD to have copies of the records and you may not have to pay for anything, either.

Choose a new MD, go to your first appointment (each family member), have the new MD request your records from the MD you do not wish to continue seeing. Problem solved.

FYI-the pleural of diagnosis is diagnoses. The possessive form of family is family's; and, the MD you do not like is an "idiot" not an "idot" (though I really like that word!);)

Merry Christmas to all!
EC

Last edited:

ajkroy

just adding my two cents...

Very well stated, all of you. I just wanted to tell the OP (since he mentioned that his child was also a patient) that in addition to the 7-year rule, many states require the custodian to maintain a minor's records until he/she reaches the age of majority. So, if this doctor began treating your child since birth, the records belong to the doctor until your child is 18. Then they can be destroyed.

I just don't want him to go hollering at the "idot" :p and not have all of the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">