• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Moving Out W/O Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? RI

Hey All,

Just a quick ? to make sure I am understanding correctly. My tenant just called and said, BTW, I'm moving out on December 31. The person is month to month, is paid through December and I have last month's rent deposit in full. So, according to my understanding she doesn't owe me anymore money, even though she is not giving proper notice (30 days written notice). Is there any recourse then, for the lack of proper notice? I'm looking at the law, but the legalese confuses me.

TIA, NF

JETX

The person is month to month, is paid through December and I have last month's rent deposit in full.
You are confusing. Is this amount the last months rent OR the deposit. They are not the same thing!!!

You can apply the last month's rent as if it were rent paid for January... and assume that the notice they have given you is equal to a 30 day notice given on 12/31.

However, if you don't have a separate DEPOSIT, then you are stuck without any funds to protect you in the event there is damage.[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">