• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a time limit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCMominVA

What is the name of your state? VA

I'm getting ready to go to DCSE for arrearage on child support tomorrow. Ex is $31K in arrears, I have found his place of employment, address, phone number, etc. Does it take a long time for DCSE to enforce payment on arrears?

He works for the federal government, so it's not going to be hard to find him....he's also in the Air National Guard.

Thanks in advance everyone! We're going to try to get this taken care of so that we can go forth with terminating his parental rights....I've posted on here regarding stepparent adoption. :) Ex is a complete deadbeat. No contact with him since our son was 2, he's going on 10 now.

What is the name of your state? VA

I'm getting ready to go to DCSE for arrearage on child support tomorrow. Ex is $31K in arrears, I have found his place of employment, address, phone number, etc. Does it take a long time for DCSE to enforce payment on arrears?

He works for the federal government, so it's not going to be hard to find him....he's also in the Air National Guard.

Thanks in advance everyone! We're going to try to get this taken care of so that we can go forth with terminating his parental rights....I've posted on here regarding stepparent adoption. :) Ex is a complete deadbeat. No contact with him since our son was 2, he's going on 10 now.
Just saw this but wonder...why are you filing for arrearages if you are also trying to terminate his parental rights?

You want the money from him but all rights stripped away. :confused:

Just saw this but wonder...why are you filing for arrearages if you are also trying to terminate his parental rights?

Why Not ask him to pay what he should have been paying all along? If nothing else, it will help pay for the attorney to get him out of the picture:eek:

Just an afterthought, they most likely will put him on a payment plan that could take years to fulfill, so don’t expect the entire amount any time soon…

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Child Support is contact. If any money is received from any source (income tax seizures or anything of that nature) then there is contact and the child has not been abandoned.

fairisfair

why not?? terminating parental rights does not absolve the person of the child support already owed, just of future child support.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
why not?? terminating parental rights does not absolve the person of the child support already owed, just of future child support.
Actually in some cases you are wrong. I have seen adoption forms that state that should the adoption be granted all arrearages will cease.

fairisfair

Actually in some cases you are wrong. I have seen adoption forms that state that should the adoption be granted all arrearages will cease.
Not to argue, but I said that terminating parental rights did not absolve them. Of course, I agree that there are cases where the adoption or probably even voluntarily terminating ones rights, might be done in exchange for dismissing arrearages.

CCMominVA

This was our thought....why should he be able to get away with not supporting his child for so long. If he comes back saying that he would like to be involved, we have no problem with that....at all. He has wanted (since the last time I talked to him about 7 years ago) wanted to terminate his rights to get out of paying child support...so I don't see him cringing on giving up any future responsibility. But, he still needs to take care of the current, in my opinion.

Our son knows who his parents are, and knows that bio dad is out there and wasn't ready to be a dad at the time. But that's all he knows.

Thanks everyone!

ceara19

This was our thought....why should he be able to get away with not supporting his child for so long. If he comes back saying that he would like to be involved, we have no problem with that....at all. He has wanted (since the last time I talked to him about 7 years ago) wanted to terminate his rights to get out of paying child support...so I don't see him cringing on giving up any future responsibility. But, he still needs to take care of the current, in my opinion.

Our son knows who his parents are, and knows that bio dad is out there and wasn't ready to be a dad at the time. But that's all he knows.

Thanks everyone!
Then you should deal with terminating his rights FIRST. He's probably going to fight terminating his rights if money is being deducted from his check. Unless forgiving the arrears is part of the termination agreement or the adoption agreement, they won't go away.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not to argue, but I said that terminating parental rights did not absolve them. Of course, I agree that there are cases where the adoption or probably even voluntarily terminating ones rights, might be done in exchange for dismissing arrearages.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying. I have seen county adoption forms and they specifically state that by doing an adoption/terminating the natural parent's rights that it results in a forfeiture of any arrearages. It is not an exchange per se. It is an automatic you do this, the arrearages go away. No more. They do not exist. Morally the parent is not absolved. However, legally there may no longer be any arrearages that exist.

CCMominVA

Thanks!

Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Update is: I got a letter in the mail yesterday, stamped from the city/state that he lives in with a newspaper page with all these "Get rich quick" schemes. On it is a yellow post it note handwritten, "Name, you've got to see this"....with the same initial of our son's name. Really strange!

Anyways, I called DCSE this morning, and yes they've contacted him and I'm guessing this is his frustration showing (the stupid non-letter sent). So, I guess I will have to wait and see what else comes of it.

The main reason that I did the child support, was because I've been trying to get in contact with him in regards to the adoption, however, he won't return any of my calls, nor my emails. So, I guessed this was one way of getting his attention. He is the type of person that thinks things will "just go away if you ignore it".

Yes, I married this man....I had a child with him. I was young and dumb.

qurice

Thanks for all the insight everyone!

Update is: I got a letter in the mail yesterday, stamped from the city/state that he lives in with a newspaper page with all these "Get rich quick" schemes. On it is a yellow post it note handwritten, "Name, you've got to see this"....with the same initial of our son's name. Really strange!
I got a letter like that once. It was a spam/junk mail ad.

CCMominVA

I got a letter like that once. It was a spam/junk mail ad.
The only reason I'm thinking it's him, is because my address was handwritten, the post it was handwritten and even though the stamp on the letter stated city/state he lives, the newspaper was from Richmond, VA and I happen to live in VA. The date of the newspaper was 3 January, and it was mailed 5 January.

I'm not a paranoid person by any means, but I think it's his childish actions showing through.

ceara19

The only reason I'm thinking it's him, is because my address was handwritten, the post it was handwritten and even though the stamp on the letter stated city/state he lives, the newspaper was from Richmond, VA and I happen to live in VA. The date of the newspaper was 3 January, and it was mailed 5 January.

I'm not a paranoid person by any means, but I think it's his childish actions showing through.
I get the same type of thing every couple of months. If you look really closely, the "handwriting" is most likely computer generated. I can write out a note or document by hand using my computer and then print it out with the printer. I do it every year for Christmas cards and nobody has ever realized they weren't handwritten unless I tell them.

CCMominVA

I get the same type of thing every couple of months. If you look really closely, the "handwriting" is most likely computer generated. I can write out a note or document by hand using my computer and then print it out with the printer. I do it every year for Christmas cards and nobody has ever realized they weren't handwritten unless I tell them.
I'm just waiting to see if more crap starts coming from this particular city/state....I've never gotten anything like this before, so it had me a bit surprised when I got it. It's just coincidental I guess that ex had just received notice from the DCSE last week, then suddenly this comes. I should also mention that he works for the post office. Ha ha ha.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">