• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwanted credit cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NHfather

What is the name of your state? NH.
I just got yet another credit card offer in the mail. Yes I know this is nothing new and I'm sure I'll get more in the future. But in the letter they say that do to my improved credit rating I'm now eligible for a platinum card. There in lies the hook, My credit has not improved and I know this as fact. My question is this. They lied to me about my improved credit, would that be considered deceptive and is there anything I could do to punish them for being deceptive?

Marty

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? NH.
I just got yet another credit card offer in the mail. Yes I know this is nothing new and I'm sure I'll get more in the future. But in the letter they say that do to my improved credit rating I'm now eligible for a platinum card. There in lies the hook, My credit has not improved and I know this as fact. My question is this. They lied to me about my improved credit, would that be considered deceptive and is there anything I could do to punish them for being deceptive?

Marty
yes, cut the credit card in half and mail it back to them :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no credit card to cut up - this was just an offer.
OP - punish them for what? For trying to "sell" you something? Just do like the rest of the country and shred and dispose of your junk mail.

NHfather

there's nothing wrong with deception?

ok punish them like i really need that headache but come on is it really legal to be blatantly so deceptive?

Betty

yes, cut the credit card in half and mail it back to them :D
Yep - Zigner was correct re your post - there was no credit card to cut up - this was just an offer! :D
OP - we all get these offers - you just have to "junk" them like the rest of us do.

TigerD

Yep - Zigner was correct re your post - there was no credit card to cut up - this was just an offer! :D
OP - we all get these offers - you just have to "junk" them like the rest of us do.
Okay, shred the offer and mail it back.

NewEnglander

Remove your name from the mailing list...

There is a 1-800 number you can call to have your name removed from the mailing list used by companies that make these credit card offers. I was receiving, on averasge, three offers a week. Then, I heard about this number on one of the cable news programs. I called it and within three weeks the offers stopped. I don't believe I have gotten one offer since, and it's been about two years. I don't have the number, but you can probably find it on your state web page. Good luck.

Ladynred

The way to STOP all credit card offers and various other credit-based products is to OPT OUT with the 3 credit bureaus. You can go to the web site of any one of the 3 credit bureaus and find the OPT OUT toll free number. Unfortunately, they only give you 2 choices - opt out for 2 years or permanently.. even though the FCRA allows for a 5 year opt-out period, the CRA's ignore that part of the law.

This will not stop offers from creditors you already do business with, but it will stop all the garbage offers from everyone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">