• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury Duty & Overtime Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ndr_hip

Illinois

I have an employee summoned to sit on a grand jury. He is non-exempt and our main IT person. Company policy is to pay up to 10 days regardless of employment status. My question is, if he comes in to work after court or on the weekend and puts in a few hours, would that qualify as overtime and subject to time and a half pay?:confused:What is the name of your state?

mlane58

Illinois

I have an employee summoned to sit on a grand jury. He is non-exempt and our main IT person. Company policy is to pay up to 10 days regardless of employment status. My question is, if he comes in to work after court or on the weekend and puts in a few hours, would that qualify as overtime and subject to time and a half pay?:confused:What is the name of your state?
Overtime is paid for hours worked over 40. You are compensating that employee for loss of income while having to sit on jury. So the answer is no.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Barring a bona fide contract that says otherwise, there are no circumstances in which time paid but not worked has to be applied to overtime calculations. If he didn't WORK more than 40 hours in a week, he has no legal claim to overtime, regardless of how many hours he was paid for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">