• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sick Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

singe

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I recently made a lateral move at my organization (a public utility). To make a long story short, I did not like it. Because it was a one way move, my only option was to quit, which I did. During the "talk" with my supervisor, it was discussed that if I wanted to quit, he would work with me and let me stay while looking for another job. My stay lasted one day short of three weeks. My ending date of 2/16/07 was given to me about a week before it happened. My last three days of my employment, I called off sick. I have 192 hours of sick pay on the books for the past two years so you can see that it isn't something that I use often. Anyway, I was told that I needed to have a doctor excuse. Not knowing that it would be a problem, I hadn't gone but immediately after finding out, I made an appointment. I was given an excuse for the 3 days. Now they are telling me that I still may not get paid for the time off.

Also, I found out my supervisor mentioned to my coworkers that he let me know I needed the doctor excuse and he "doubted if I could produce one." Isn't that slander? It can hurt my reputation with the people I worked with.

So, I guess I would like to know is are they able not to pay me for sick leave when I have produced a doctor's excuse (I even have a prescription for medication) and is the above statement about me considered slander? Do I have any recourse?? Thank you.

Last edited:

mlane58

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I recently made a lateral move at my organization (a public utility). To make a long story short, I did not like it. Because it was a one way move, my only option was to quit, which I did. During the "talk" with my supervisor, it was discussed that if I wanted to quit, he would work with me and let me stay while looking for another job. My stay lasted one day short of three weeks. My ending date of 2/16/07 was given to me about a week before it happened. My last three days of my employment, I called off sick. I have 192 hours of sick pay on the books for the past two years so you can see that it isn't something that I use often. Anyway, I was told that I needed to have a doctor excuse. Not knowing that it would be a problem, I hadn't gone but immediately after finding out, I made an appointment. I was given an excuse for the 3 days. Now they are telling me that I still may not get paid for the time off.

Also, I found out my supervisor mentioned to my coworkers that he let me know I needed the doctor excuse and he "doubted if I could produce one." Isn't that slander? It can hurt my reputation with the people I worked with.

So, I guess I would like to know is are they able not to pay me for sick leave when I have produced a doctor's excuse (I even have a prescription for medication) and is the above statement about me considered slander? Do I have any recourse?? Thank you.
There isn't a state or federal law that states you are to be paid for sick time. Look you were quitting and on your last week you use sick time. I would have accepted your resignation effective the first day you were out. Having a doctor's note holds no force in law, except under FMLA and I don't see that as an issue. Where do you get slander from? Get real, and how did it hurt your reputation? what are your damages---you were leaving. Move on and get another job. Nothing you have posted remoted suggests that anuthing illegal took place.

singe

Are you an attorney?
I didn't say there was a state or federal law that says you have to pay sick pay. But just for the record, where does it say that because you are quitting (this was discussed previously with supervisor and that is the way HE wanted it) you are entitled to reduced benefits???? And as for releasing me the first day I was out, sounds suspect to me. I was given the date of the 17th and now because I got sick, they want to revoke? Should they have taken away my insurance because I used it too? That is your logic.

The comment has the potential to lead others to think I'm a liar and I don't appreciate that or you....by the way....you can't spell...get a spell checker.

Last edited:

mlane58

Are you an attorney?
I didn't say there was a state or federal law that says you have to pay sick pay. But just for the record, where does it say that because you are quitting (this was discussed previously with supervisor and that is the way HE wanted it) you are entitled to reduced benefits???? And as for releasing me the first day I was out, sounds suspect to me. I was given the date of the 17th and now because I got sick, they want to revoke? Should they have taken away my insurance because I used it too? That is your logic.

The comment has the potential to lead others to think I'm a liar and I don't appreciate that or you....by the way....you can't spell...get a spell checker.
Look jerk, No I am not an attorney, I am an HR professional with over 20 years of experience and I know employment law better than most employment attorneys.
But just for the record, where does it say that because you are quitting (this was discussed previously with supervisor and that is the way HE wanted it) you are entitled to reduced benefits????
It doesn't so it's legal
And as for releasing me the first day I was out, sounds suspect to me. I was given the date of the 17th and now because I got sick, they want to revoke?
Thats your employer's right and again it's not illegal
That is your logic.
Not mine, the law's
The comment has the potential to lead others to think I'm a liar and I don't appreciate that or you....
What comment? and by the way I don't care
by the way....you can't spell...get a spell checker.
And by the way, get a life and move on, you have no recourse and get some work ethics you jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">