• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received first 2 point of my life...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NJ

If I should choose not to contest my summons for "careless driving" in New Jersey in order to just pay the $85, what can I expect my insurance company to do to the premium for my wife and I as a result of the 2 points? Never any points for either of us, and I've been driving 24 years. Thanks!What is the name of your state?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NJ

If I should choose not to contest my summons for "careless driving" in New Jersey in order to just pay the $85, what can I expect my insurance company to do to the premium for my wife and I as a result of the 2 points? Never any points for either of us, and I've been driving 24 years. Thanks!What is the name of your state?
You can expect them to raise your premium.

ecmst12

Make sure you check your ticket, you might HAVE to appear in court for this in NJ. They might offer to reduce the ticket to a no-point offense or they might not. They can and almost certainly will increase your premiums for getting points on your license though.

I actually do not need to appear since I never had points before. There are also no surcharges by DMV. They do URGE me to appear to negotiate the points down (they want REVENUE).

It would be nice to appear in court to plead "not guilty" in order to get the summons dismissed, or to even pay "cash for points" (which is how it's done in NJ). However, I would lose more in wages (I work on commission) than if I were to win the case. So I really do need to have a good idea as to what the insurance company is likely to do to someone with a good driving history like myself. I may need to take the defensive driving class, which reduces 2 points.

What's curious to me, though, is that everyone I talk to with accidents and summonses on their record states that their premium wasn't affected. One colleague has 2 teenage daughters on his policy, with 3 accidents in 2 yrs. No increased premium. Another colleague has 4 points on his record, and his premium supposedly went down! So I'm wondering if the big, bad insurance companies aren't that relentless after all. Maybe they evaluate a bit more than is commonly believed. I don't know...

You can expect them to raise your premium.
They can and almost certainly will increase your premiums for getting points on your license though.
Do you suspect this based on actual people that you have asked? Or maybe personal experience? If it is probable to go up, what percentage can I expect? For what it's worth, I don't carry collision or comprehensive. Thanks!

moburkes

I suspect it because I am a licensed insurance agent in several states, including....

However, the easiest place to get that answer is the insurance company itself. See, really very simple.

ecmst12

I don't live in NJ myself but I live in Philly and know a lot of people who do live there. I've also gotten into an accident in NJ so I know a little about their laws and I know the auto insurance market there is floundering. But I will second Mo - call your insurance company and ask them what their policy is. If you DO get an increase, it won't show up until your next policy cycle, too.

FlyingRon

In the corrupt system in NJ, expect your policy holder to cancel you and ending up in the JUA for several years paying much higher premiums. This is what happens when you have a state legislature made up of personal injury lawyers.

In the corrupt system in NJ, expect your policy holder to cancel you and ending up in the JUA for several years paying much higher premiums.

Thanks for your input, but this is not what will happen. Company is considered the best/most desirable in NJ to be insured with.

Mo, thanks for your input. Obviously you are an authority on the subject. Thanks to ecmst12 as well. However, is it really WISE to ask my insurance company? After all, one of my options, and the likely result, is pleaing down to no points and non-mover. Isn't it unwise to make the insurance company aware of the receipt of this summons at this juncture? If you disagree and feel I don't risk anything by asking, the how should I go about the "wording"? Thank you.

ecmst12

I don't think you risk anything by asking. If you keep the points, they're going to find out about it eventually anyway and if you don't, then well you won't have to worry about a surcharge for them.

I also don't think you're going to get cancelled for getting one ticket, points or no, with a previously clean driving record, EVEN in New Jersey.

I have since discovered (my case STILL pending) that my insurance company, NJM, is not interested in the first 2 points. Points become a problem at 4. They are a truly wonderful company to be insured with.

I also did not call them to find this out. Used an extensive web search instead. Upon my research, I read that it is never wise to "clue" the insurance company in on an infraction pending. The advice given to me (after I got my answer), was to call anonymously and and inquire about company policies because "I'm shopping around and considering switching insurance companies". Good advice!

moburkes

I have since discovered (my case STILL pending) that my insurance company, NJM, is not interested in the first 2 points. Points become a problem at 4. They are a truly wonderful company to be insured with.

I also did not call them to find this out. Used an extensive web search instead. Upon my research, I read that it is never wise to "clue" the insurance company in on an infraction pending. The advice given to me (after I got my answer), was to call anonymously and and inquire about company policies because "I'm shopping around and considering switching insurance companies". Good advice!
And, I'd love to know who gave you this advice. The person probably wasn't an underwriter, an agent, or a processor.

FlyingRon

DMV points mean nothing to insurance companies. They all have their own scoring for accidents and violations. For instance, my insurance company assesses all moving violations 1 internal point and certain infractions (careless or reckless, etc..) as 2. 2 points or one chargeable accident bumps you up 40% over the "good driver" rate (although there is a longevity credit that offsets this if you've been insured by them for several years with no incident).

Check your policy documents and/or call your company/agent.

fcobarr

Joe - I'm in NJ too, and here is what I did when I had reckless ticket and a speeding ticket (30+ over limit). It costs money, but I was able to get the speeding changed to a "warning" which they like to negotiate because it keeps more money in the local municipality and the reckless was changed to a careless. The details are a bit foggy to remember, but what started out as 9 points (5+4), went to 2. Good luck.

That is a very good insurance company to be with. I've only had pleasent experiences with them and never had my premiums raised even with accidents and tickets over the years. What they seem to look at is patterns and frequency vs. isolated incidents. My brother, on the other hand, got 10 points in 1 year and was moved into the re-insurance group and after 3 years was moved back to reasonable rates. Plus, I like that we're able to deal direct vs. through an agent.

fcobarr

Joe - just to keep the board organized, i thought I'd mention that there is a better area to post this topic...trafic law > speeding and other moving violations

Thanks FlyingRon and fcobarr for sharing your quality input! Actually had a post on that other board pertaintaining to the traffic complaint itself. Brought this particular matter to this board because I was simply looking for info specifically on what I could expect the insurance company to do. I did not expect any real penalty from them because I already knew that they don't increase rates for accidents. I had to search a bit to find the answer regarding points on the record, but I found it. Didn't get much help previously from this board due to the simple fact that most people aren't as fortunate as we are to have such a wonderfully fair company whose policyholders are essentially "by invitation only".

As such, I won't be trading in my 2 points for $400, which is what the prosecutor wanted. Much to the court's, and the prosecutor's, dismay (because practically NO ONE in NJ would dare bring a traffic case to the judge), I will have the case heard. Not much to lose if I lose the case, and the cop hasn't shown up twice already. A 3rd time will be the charm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">