• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going into military with a B.A. for a enlisted position.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

I was interested in the navy master at arms program. Im concerned couse they ony offer enlisted positions. I was wondering , does having a college degree help out when you go into the military for a enlisted position.

What is the name of your state? California

I was interested in the navy master at arms program. Im concerned couse they ony offer enlisted positions. I was wondering , does having a college degree help out when you go into the military for a enlisted position.
It certainly helps if you are able to spell.

SHORTY LONG

Concur with cyberspook! More to the point about having a "BA" Degree,
yes speedallurement it will be a plus for you in the Military. :rolleyes:

Ozark_Sophist

The question is why you would want to go in as enlisted when you might qualify for OCS or other officer training program.

From my own personal experience, I qualified for Navy nuclear school (I missed only 4 questions on the ASVAB--even the speed portion--and I had other academic qualifications met). I planned to take the submarine option. BUT, the restraining orders my ex and I filed against each other (expired by this time) blocked any chance I had at appropriate security clearances.

Probably a good thing anyway. At 6'3", I would have felt cramped after 60 days out. :D

Talk to a recruiter and be honest about the RO. LE and MP positions are hot right now because of the ongoing police action--uh, war on terror--um, fight for freedom.

Last edited:

fozzy2

Having a college degree certainly won't hurt in an effort to enlist in the Navy. But even more important is whether or not you meet minimum standards like pass the physical and not too much criminal background. Generally speaking, enlisting is a matter of meeting minimums - a college degree is nice but you will likely need to get a certain minimum score on the ASVAB, for example.

With a degree you might qualify for enlistment at an advanced paygrade (I'm not certain what the current programs are), but beware that even so your first years could be very boring and/or painful anyway. If you are not in Iraq patrolling with an M-16 you may end up aboard a ship spending a lot of time 'farmed out' to other jobs. Even 'rate appropriate' jobs, like "meter maid" (officially "parking enforcement") can be boring and distasteful. Don't think that your college degree will mean much, at least until you gain plenty of rank. The enlisted military is still pretty much anti-intellectual.

It used to be that MA was only open to people who were already E-5 eligible in another rate. Much of their job was often supervising lower ranking people working "out of rate" in security. Now, however, there are lower ranking MAs, so they get to do the un-fun work themselves.

If you've got a degree and an interest in the field, why not try something like becoming an Army MP officer? Or, instead of the military you could try the Air Force.....(just kidding).

Just Blue

Having a college degree certainly won't hurt in an effort to enlist in the Navy. But even more important is whether or not you meet minimum standards like pass the physical and not too much criminal background. Generally speaking, enlisting is a matter of meeting minimums - a college degree is nice but you will likely need to get a certain minimum score on the ASVAB, for example.

With a degree you might qualify for enlistment at an advanced paygrade (I'm not certain what the current programs are), but beware that even so your first years could be very boring and/or painful anyway. If you are not in Iraq patrolling with an M-16 you may end up aboard a ship spending a lot of time 'farmed out' to other jobs. Even 'rate appropriate' jobs, like "meter maid" (officially "parking enforcement") can be boring and distasteful. Don't think that your college degree will mean much, at least until you gain plenty of rank. The enlisted military is still pretty much anti-intellectual.

It used to be that MA was only open to people who were already E-5 eligible in another rate. Much of their job was often supervising lower ranking people working "out of rate" in security. Now, however, there are lower ranking MAs, so they get to do the un-fun work themselves.

If you've got a degree and an interest in the field, why not try something like becoming an Army MP officer? Or, instead of the military you could try the Air Force.....(just kidding).
Fozzy...Check out OP's other threads...And them pm me and let me know if you think he should have a gun...;)

Yes the enlisted military is still pretty much anti-intellectual. You don't want people over there fighting this war with a inteligent thought in there heads. My God where would that get us? Isn't that why the military prefers there recruits to come from back woods blue collar towns where they live like masses and do NOT question authority?

Recruiters know to get em fresh outta high school before they are further educated and consequently realize just how much they do NOT want to participate in this.

The military has always been thought of as a correctional depratment.

The reason why i like the Navy MP is couse they mainly do base work or ship patrol. Army MPs are out in the field dodging AK-47s and snuck in fox holes.

The question is why you would want to go in as enlisted when you might qualify for OCS or other officer training program.

From my own personal experience, I qualified for Navy nuclear school (I missed only 4 questions on the ASVAB--even the speed portion--and I had other academic qualifications met). I planned to take the submarine option. BUT, the restraining orders my ex and I filed against each other (expired by this time) blocked any chance I had at appropriate security clearances.

Probably a good thing anyway. At 6'3", I would have felt cramped after 60 days out. :D

Talk to a recruiter and be honest about the RO. LE and MP positions are hot right now because of the ongoing police action--uh, war on terror--um, fight for freedom.
so your saying that your chances at being an officer were denied couse of a expired restraining order? How long would you have to have waited to get a security clearance? Were there any other factors besides the restraining order that might have affected you from getting the security clearance?

Currently my credit is good
I have a infraction for driving with out a LN-5 years ago
A restraining order soon to expire.

John1865

First, let me say your original post was not written well and had numerous spelling errors, as other folks have pointed out. Not indicative of an educated man.

Next, don't let anyone tell you an educated man is not appreciated in the enlisted ranks. In the Air Force, one cannot be promoted to Senior NCO without at least an Associates degree, and in many cases, one needs a Bachelors degree to be competitive for promotion. Not a written rule, but promotion especially to SNCO is very competitive.

I served for over 23-years in the Air Force, and believe most folks are smart and can contribute to the mission in numerous ways. I have served with many enlisted folks with both Associates and Bachelors degrees. They are serving in this capacity for many reasons. Some just don't fit in with the officer corp. Others could not pass the officers entrance exam. Others like me obtained their degrees while too old to cross over to the officer corp. Believe it or not, there are a few enlisted folks in the Air Force with Doctorate degrees. They have their own reasons!!!

Finally, we need educated folks in both officer and enlisted ranks ready to contribute with the skill-sets they bring to the table. Over the years, I worked with many excellent officers that greatly appreciated the education and hard-work of enlisted folks. Maybe it’s just the Air Force that thinks this way…I hope not!

Look at it this way, when I retired as an E-8 in 2003, I was earning approximately $60,000 per year. Not bad for a guy with a Bachelors degree living in San Antonio. Serving over 23years brings me 58% retirement, and I’m only 44 years old. In my new career I earn about the same as when I retired, but I collect an additional $32,000 in retirement per year.

The reason why I’ve listed my history is because of the following comment by Cyberspook: “Yes the enlisted military is still pretty much anti-intellectual.”

This is “bull****”!!! I was enlisted, I have two Associate degrees and a Bachelors degree, and I make $90,000+ per year at 44 years old -- is this anti-intellectual???

fozzy2

The reason why i like the Navy MP is couse they mainly do base work or ship patrol. Army MPs are out in the field dodging AK-47s and snuck in fox holes.

There are a lot of MPs in Iraq, and the Navy has plans to send a lot more. It is a "finger in the pie" the Navy likes. So don't think you may not end up patrolling some godforsaken US Marine Corps post, and *wishing* you were in the army.

Secondly, there generally isn't much "patrol" aboard a ship. Once again, I'm not up with the precise current practices, but once you've pulled out of port (where you'll be protecting your ship rather than getting max liberty) you are no longer needed to carry a gun, generally, and you will often find yourself working "out of rate" at all the truly adventurous navy tasks like cleaining, painting, mess cranking, garbage disposal, etc.

Like most enlisted jobs, the sh*t has a way of finding you.

First, let me say your original post was not written well and had numerous spelling errors, as other folks have pointed out. Not indicative of an educated man.

Next, don't let anyone tell you an educated man is not appreciated in the enlisted ranks. In the Air Force, one cannot be promoted to Senior NCO without at least an Associates degree, and in many cases, one needs a Bachelors degree to be competitive for promotion. Not a written rule, but promotion especially to SNCO is very competitive.

I served for over 23-years in the Air Force, and believe most folks are smart and can contribute to the mission in numerous ways. I have served with many enlisted folks with both Associates and Bachelors degrees. They are serving in this capacity for many reasons. Some just don't fit in with the officer corp. Others could not pass the officers entrance exam. Others like me obtained their degrees while too old to cross over to the officer corp. Believe it or not, there are a few enlisted folks in the Air Force with Doctorate degrees. They have their own reasons!!!

Finally, we need educated folks in both officer and enlisted ranks ready to contribute with the skill-sets they bring to the table. Over the years, I worked with many excellent officers that greatly appreciated the education and hard-work of enlisted folks. Maybe it’s just the Air Force that thinks this way…I hope not!

Look at it this way, when I retired as an E-8 in 2003, I was earning approximately $60,000 per year. Not bad for a guy with a Bachelors degree living in San Antonio. Serving over 23years brings me 58% retirement, and I’m only 44 years old. In my new career I earn about the same as when I retired, but I collect an additional $32,000 in retirement per year.

The reason why I’ve listed my history is because of the following comment by Cyberspook: “Yes the enlisted military is still pretty much anti-intellectual.”

This is “bull****”!!! I was enlisted, I have two Associate degrees and a Bachelors degree, and I make $90,000+ per year at 44 years old -- is this anti-intellectual???

Well it wasn't my original comment, I simply agreed with it, and still do.:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">