• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mskeg

What is the name of your state? New York

Sorry forgot to ask, is there any place that I can have the severance package my ex-employer afforded me reviewed? Yes, I know they don't have to offer me this, but it also includes alot of legal jargon that I don't understand. If any issue should come up along the way, maybe a discrimination issue, I don't want to sign this document if it would hinder the suit.

Also, I was switched from a salary pay to an hourly pay. How can I be sure that my employment status was identified right for the years previous to going to hourly pay. If I was working any kind of overtime in the past years and was receiving the same pay every week, wouldn't that be a different status. The change to hourly pay was suddenly made after an employee filed a suit against them for getting a "sourly" pay. I've never been absolutely sure or what my status was. According to their "compensation" statement in the handbook, adminstrative personnel are exempt, but under their "non-exempt" explination, administrative personnel fall under this category. Shouldn't your compensation "non-exempt" be the same as your explination of what "non-exempt" means be the same?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? New York

Sorry forgot to ask, is there any place that I can have the severance package my ex-employer afforded me reviewed? Yes, I know they don't have to offer me this, but it also includes alot of legal jargon that I don't understand. If any issue should come up along the way, maybe a discrimination issue, I don't want to sign this document if it would hinder the suit.

Also, I was switched from a salary pay to an hourly pay. How can I be sure that my employment status was identified right for the years previous to going to hourly pay. If I was working any kind of overtime in the past years and was receiving the same pay every week, wouldn't that be a different status. The change to hourly pay was suddenly made after an employee filed a suit against them for getting a "sourly" pay. I've never been absolutely sure or what my status was. According to their "compensation" statement in the handbook, adminstrative personnel are exempt, but under their "non-exempt" explination, administrative personnel fall under this category. Shouldn't your compensation "non-exempt" be the same as your explination of what "non-exempt" means be the same?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=358176

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=358179

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=358175

Quadruple post.

Keep all your questions in your first thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">