• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mskeg

What is the name of your state? New York

I am narcoleptic, a medical disability, but it is controlled by medication prescribed by a physician. It has no affect on my job. I was let go from my job as I was told regarding performace issues, but not sure if they related it to my condition to be able to run around the legal motion. I know I'm not due an explination of my release, but how do I find out if I'm being discriminated against for my disability or real performance issues? The company has known about my condition since day one.

mskeg

No way of telling that it could be their thinking that the condition affects my performance, because they don't have to explain their reasoning.

Then it is very unlikely that this problem would, by itself, be the cause for termination.

Betty

You indicate the co. has known about your condition from day one - how long have you worked there? If you have worked there for some time, it doesn't seem as if they would suddenly terminate you due to your medical hx. They certainly can terminate you for performance issues which is the reason they gave.

mskeg

Yes they did know since day one. When you are narcoleptic, you get tired. Naps were taken at lunch time, in my car, every day. Not something they were to pleased about. But my lunchtime is mine. The fact that clients were pulling in and parking and seeing me napping in my car was not an imagine they wanted. I had no where else to go and like I said they knew what I had. It's very sad to know that an employer can use one excuse to cover another. They would never admit to me that my condition was the cause of termination, of course not, but I know it was and I have no need or care to prove it. When the whole office is totally blown away about your termination and you've been told by 99% of them that "they don't know what they've lost", you know you did a great job.....you've pleased the right people....the ones who count...the ones who CARE.

I will still be seeking legal advice, but thanks for your comments. Time to move on. Peace ya'll!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">