• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permit Issue w/Finishing A Basement Myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melody301

What is the name of your state? Upper Marlboro, MD

My husband and his father want to finish our basement themselves. They plan on putting in several rooms including a full bathroom. Is it illegal to do this without a building permit, if not what problems will we be facing in the long run if they do this without permits?

If we do get permits won't our property taxes go up when assessed? :D

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? Upper Marlboro, MD

My husband and his father want to finish our basement themselves. They plan on putting in several rooms including a full bathroom. Is it illegal to do this without a building permit, if not what problems will we be facing in the long run if they do this without permits?

If we do get permits won't our property taxes go up when assessed? :D
Permits are required.
Your property taxes go up as soon as the county figures out you did it. The taxing office cares little about whether the work was done legally or not. Of course, it's harder for them to figure things out without the permit paper trail, but believe me, they are hunting around in general for externally visible changes even absent the permits.

melody301

So what happens down the road when I'm ready to sell my home and the county doesn't have record of a finished basement, what effect will that have the transaction?

xylene

So what happens down the road when I'm ready to sell my home and the county doesn't have record of a finished basement, what effect will that have the transaction?
You will have serious problems, could face fine and / or need to rip out the work.

Your house could be out of code and difficult to insure.

It will make your house hard to sell. Look at this forum, at least once a week people post with issues about backing out of a house deal because of unpermited construction.

Just follow the process. Its well worth it.

I mean you live in nice area. Don't treat your house like a country shack trailer with a barnboard and corrigated carport...

You know you you are better than that.

Tell dad-in-law to keep his bright idea of doing illegal work in your house.

melody301

I mean you live in nice area. Don't treat your house like a country shack trailer with a barnboard and corrigated carport...

You know you you are better than that.

Tell dad-in-law to keep his bright idea of doing illegal work in your house.

I take it you are familiar with the Upper Marlboro, MD area. Thank you for such good advice and sad to say it wasn't my father-in-law's bright idea it was my husbands and since his dad knows how to frame and dry wall he was trying to take the cheap way out. I'll tell him we must hire a licensed contrator and get all the needed permits if we don't want to pay in the long run. Again thanx for your advice, I really appreciate it.:D

xylene

I take it you are familiar with the Upper Marlboro, MD area. Thank you for such good advice and sad to say it wasn't my father-in-law's bright idea it was my husbands and since his dad knows how to frame and dry wall he was trying to take the cheap way out. I'll tell him we must hire a licensed contrator and get all the needed permits if we don't want to pay in the long run. Again thanx for your advice, I really appreciate it.:D
HELLO! Thanks.

HUGE FYI - You DO NOT need to get a contractor!

You can do your own work.

You just need a permit, and you need to do the work up to code.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">