• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Employer was robbed and My Property was also stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dirtyd

What is the name of your state? California

ON Staurday Night the resturante was broken into and they attempted to take the safe in the office but they were unsucessful. My boss's computer and my PS2 was stolen from the office, and the robbers got away, so far. I would play the Ps2 on breaks or before and after my shift that's why it was left in the office. I talked to my manager yesterday and he said he did not report my Ps2 stolen. I told him to add it to the report today. Is it too late? would the insurance cover my property or am I SOL?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California

ON Staurday Night the resturante was broken into and they attempted to take the safe in the office but they were unsucessful. My boss's computer and my PS2 was stolen from the office, and the robbers got away, so far. I would play the Ps2 on breaks or before and after my shift that's why it was left in the office. I talked to my manager yesterday and he said he did not report my Ps2 stolen. I told him to add it to the report today. Is it too late? would the insurance cover my property or am I SOL?
You're not SOL. Your renter's or your parent's homeowner's insurance will pay for the replacement. However, it is probably under the deductible, so I take my words back. You probably ARE SOL.

Beth3

Your employer is not responsible for personal property you leave at work. Their insurance carrier very likely isn't either but that would depend upon the specific language in the policy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks guys. If My Manager gets reinversed for his Computer do I also have a claim?
Not necessarily. Does he *ever* use his computer for "work"? If he does, then it may qualify for reimbursement (probably at a depreciated amount.) However, I see no way in which to claim a PS2 as "work related"

acmb05

Not necessarily. Does he *ever* use his computer for "work"? If he does, then it may qualify for reimbursement (probably at a depreciated amount.) However, I see no way in which to claim a PS2 as "work related"
Have it added to the report anyway. When the person does get caught(if he does) he will be required to pay restitution for anything he took that is not returned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">