• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snap71

What is the name of your state? New York

I was recently fired from my job and was looking to get my child support modified since I am only getting unemployment at the moment. I was told that I probably won't be able to get it modified because I was fired and not laid off. Is this this true?? Is there any difference between being fired and getting laid-off in the courts eyes?? My monetary situation changes regardlessly.

Thanks in advance.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? New York

I was recently fired from my job and was looking to get my child support modified since I am only getting unemployment at the moment. I was told that I probably won't be able to get it modified because I was fired and not laid off. Is this this true?? Is there any difference between being fired and getting laid-off in the courts eyes?? My monetary situation changes regardlessly.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, there is a difference. Getting fired was your fault, getting laid off wasn't.

Why were you fired?

nextwife

Yes, there is a difference. Getting fired was your fault, getting laid off wasn't.

Why were you fired?
Were the US Attorneys who were canned for not being loyal enough Bushies "laid off", or fired? Seems their boss isn't even sure why they are really gone-they are making up reasons as they go along..

Just Blue

Were the US Attorneys who were canned for not being loyal enough Bushies "laid off", or fired? Seems their boss isn't even sure why they are really gone-they are making up reasons as they go along..
Sorry...I have no idea what you are talking about...If I here Bush's name I turn the TV off...Stupid, moronic, idiot that he is!!!!!

nextwife

Sorry...I have no idea what you are talking about...If I here Bush's name I turn the TV off...Stupid, moronic, idiot that he is!!!!!
I'm talking about the Alberto Gonzales hearings broadcast today. Sometimes employers simply FIND a reason to oust someone.

Last edited:

GrowUp!

I'm talking about the Alberto Gonzales hearings broadcast today. Sometimes employers simply FIND a reason to oust someone.
If Thursday's hearings were any indication, Alberto "I Can Not Recall" Gonzales will be joining those attorneys he fired when these hearings are done, as he will be fired. That is if he isn't smart enough to resign first.

BL

I've never heard of anyone drawing unemployment on being terminated until recently .

At any rate how would the court know if you were fired or have been laid off .

Just file and show your unemployment income .

I know years ago , if you were fired , you wouldn't get a pink slip , nor unemployment checks .

fairisfair

I've never heard of anyone drawing unemployment on being terminated until recently .

At any rate how would the court know if you were fired or have been laid off .

Just file and show your unemployment income .

I know years ago , if you were fired , you wouldn't get a pink slip , nor unemployment checks .

Actually, being fired is the BEST way to collect unemployment. The employer must prove a willful neglect on the part of the employee. Quitting your job is what makes it extremely difficult to collect unemployment. The burden then lies on the employee to prove that there were valid reasons to abandon the job. Extremely hard to do.

Snap71

Why were you fired?

I was pretty much terminated due to 2 1/2 years of butting heads with my supervisor, nothing illegal. My main question though is, will this affect the courts decision in changing or not changing the amount of child support I pay?? Whether I was fired or laid off it still changes my income since all I have now is unemployment.

Thanks

BL

I was pretty much terminated due to 2 1/2 years of butting heads with my supervisor, nothing illegal. My main question though is, will this affect the courts decision in changing or not changing the amount of child support I pay?? Whether I was fired or laid off it still changes my income since all I have now is unemployment.

Thanks

The only way to find out is to file a modification Petition . You do not need a Lawyer .

It will either be denied , or modified .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">