• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dell Laptop Saga Part II - Need Input Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acmb05

Although I want to keep my mouth shut here...I can't. How can them sending me a Dell XP Recovery CD void my warranty? If that's true why in the hell would a supervisor intentionally void my warranty? I was sold a Vista Computer but was told it was Windows XP comptatible as well.

they had to send you the recovery CD because when you got the computer YOU tried to install XP and uninstall Vista. The moment you did that it voided your warranty.

What you should have done when you ordered the laptop was just told them you DO NOT want windows Vista on it you want windows XP. They would have happily done that for you.
As a matter of fact when you order they even give you the choice of operating system you want installed. If you failed to uncheck Vista and check XP that is your fault.

Never, ever, ever believe a Dell service tech or sales person. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about. You tell them something and they look up the answer in a book, if they can't find the answer they will tell you whatever they believe the answer to be. Most of the time it is the wrong information.

Took them almost 2 hours on tech support to try and get my wireless network set up because it was not working right. Finally called my Phone company who provides my internet service and tech there got it running in less than 5 minutes. Dell tech had no clue how to boot up and run the wireless router thru my internet provider.

acmb05

Btw the recovery CD would do you no good because you did not have windows XP on it in the first place so it would not have had anything to recover. It would have done nothing but cause a conflict with Windows Vista.

Also Vista is not all it's hyped up to be. I use XP office and XP pro and like them much better than Vista. New operating systems always have a lot of bugs and you will end up with a ton of patches to download to fix them all.

mark1210

Dell recently just changed that policy to allow Windows XP to be sold on a computer or Vista (They are now giving the consumer the option). When I purchased mine I wasn't given that option during the checkout procedure. I agree the folks didn't know what they were talking about. But as for the XP thing..it was their Dell XP Recovery CD I used...I don't have my own copy of XP. I'm not debating if the warranty is voided or not..it clearly is. But it's voided because their goofy supervisor sent me an XP Recovery CD and therefore to me..Dell violated their own warranty by sending me an inapporpriate recovery CD. So now..not only may I be stuck with this thing...I may be stuck with a computer with no warranty and that just isn't acceptable.

btw, the CD did work..it removed the old partion and put XP on it..XP runs but its missing some drivers (web cam doesn't work, etc).

http://news.com.com/Dell+brings+back+XP+on+home+systems/2100-1046_3-6177619.html

Last edited:

acmb05

Dell recently just changed that policy to allow Windows XP to be sold on a computer or Vista (They are now giving the consumer the option). When I purchased mine I wasn't given that option during the checkout procedure. I agree the folks didn't know what they were talking about. But as for the XP thing..it was their Dell XP Recovery CD I used...I don't have my own copy of XP. I'm not debating if the warranty is voided or not..it clearly is. But it's voided because their goofy supervisor sent me an XP Recovery CD and therefore to me..Dell violated their own warranty by sending me an inapporpriate recovery CD. So now..not only may I be stuck with this thing...I may be stuck with a computer with no warranty and that just isn't acceptable.

btw, the CD did work..it removed the old partion and put XP on it..XP runs but its missing some drivers (web cam doesn't work, etc).

http://news.com.com/Dell+brings+back+XP+on+home+systems/2100-1046_3-6177619.html
Ok so just go to download.com and get any drivers you need.

credit with computers

First, if you don't want the computer because of vista, RETURN IT! (I have done so with a new laptop already because of incompatibility issues). Make sure that you do so through a company that requires a signature for delivery. Make sure you send it to someone, not the company.
Also, don't wait for collections to talk to someone who can do something about your situation. The next time you call, immediately ask the rep for a supervisor-Why? because you have a personal issue that you only want to talk to a supervisor about-period.
Then explain the situation-have your numbers and names ready-and tell him you will send the laptop directly to him to end this ordeal. Sometimes they want to charge a restocking fee-blah blah-offer 50 bucks plus shipping. Do not give a credit card number-tell him you will send a money order.
Take care of the problem before you lose the opportunity to charge 1800 bucks. \

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First, if you don't want the computer because of vista, RETURN IT! (I have done so with a new laptop already because of incompatibility issues). Make sure that you do so through a company that requires a signature for delivery. Make sure you send it to someone, not the company.
Also, don't wait for collections to talk to someone who can do something about your situation. The next time you call, immediately ask the rep for a supervisor-Why? because you have a personal issue that you only want to talk to a supervisor about-period.
Then explain the situation-have your numbers and names ready-and tell him you will send the laptop directly to him to end this ordeal. Sometimes they want to charge a restocking fee-blah blah-offer 50 bucks plus shipping. Do not give a credit card number-tell him you will send a money order.
Take care of the problem before you lose the opportunity to charge 1800 bucks. \
Sam - you really need to read the thread - along with the prior information in another thread.
This poster was given ample opportunity to return the computer, yet did not do so. He made an agreement with Dell, then decided to do things differently...and got bit for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">