• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DVRO,CHRO & The Military

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California,

I was wondering as to whether people with domestic violence restraining orders or civil harassment restraining orders can join the military.

Just with the orders alone, can somone join? And if not, can they get a moral waiver? I brought up this post couse of some post where posters said that somone they know cant join the military couse of a DVRO.

I investigated a little bit and found this bit.

Reasons moral waivers cannon be granted:
Persons under civil restraint, such as confinement, parole, or probation.

Is a restraining order considered a civil restraint? It has nothing to do with confinement, parole, or probation being that all those have a conviction, Restraining orders arent a conviction of anything.

Heres the source if somone can help me out.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/a/criminal.htm

The chances are slim for being able to join.

In the military one must be able to defend and protect - weaponry use and tactics is part of all training. If you have an RO (any) you are banned from all firearms and ammunition . Although there are mitigating circumstances, don't count on your case being one. They are very slight.

Those who are already in the military and received an RO (any) in most cases will be reassigned, and in some cases will actually be discharged, depending on the circumstances.

Someone who has no respect for their spouse and commits domestic violence and a DVRO is issued should not be able to carry a gun, period. In my point of view, those people are mentally unstable and it is a good thing that they cannot join the military, law enforcement or even work in health care - like in my STBX's case. He is blaming me for his "misery" that he cannot find a decent job. This guy has never learned accountability. Well, if he would have kept his hands to himself and if he wouldn't have kicked me in the kidneys, he would be able to do anything he wants. It's always easier for him to blame others, that is how he was brought up I guess.

The DVRO expired in October of 2006 and it's still on his personal record and, according to a lawyer friend of mine, it will be on there forever and there is nothing that he can do about it. What bugs him most is that I took control of the situation with the DVRO and prevented him from doing more damage - after he had me fired from my job because of excessive phone calls from him and him constantly showing up at my home to harass me.

Our divorce date is set for the 30th of May 2007. He called me and threatened me that he would call the court to reschedule the date - I doubt the court is going to listen to him though. He is in default and all he wants is to hold on to this marriage, I think, he is trying everything to prolong it. :( I just want to get divorced from this guy.

Last edited:

XNavyLT

They're hurtin' so bad for people these days, they'll take anyone!

Who knows, a slick tongue recruiter could probably get waivers for everything.

They're hurtin' so bad for people these days, they'll take anyone!

Who knows, a slick tongue recruiter could probably get waivers for everything.
According to a local Army Recruiter (who I called after my STBX told me about that he could not join the Army because of the DVRO on his personal record - because I thought the same way as you do) said that under NO circumstances someone with a DVRO on their personal record will be able to join the Military. I don't think that the Military, Law Enforcement and Health Care want to take the risk that someone who has been violent in the past might be going crazy with a gun. I'm convinced IF my STBX had a gun back when he assaulted me, he would have shot me. People who have commited Domestic Violence obviously have a problem with self control.

I'm glad that the Military, Law Enforcement and even Health Care think that way - we are all safer that way.

so you dont see in 5-10 yrs from now that he can become a sane productive member of society were he may be beneficial to the health care, law enforcement , military? Im pretty sure they will let him in after some time, being that it was just a domestic violence restraining order, but being that he admitted and confessed to kicing you im surprised he didnt get a DV conviction. Something like that is seen as much worse.

so you dont see in 5-10 yrs from now that he can become a sane productive member of society were he may be beneficial to the health care, law enforcement , military? Im pretty sure they will let him in after some time, being that it was just a domestic violence restraining order, but being that he admitted and confessed to kicing you im surprised he didnt get a DV conviction. Something like that is seen as much worse.
My STBX was married once before. I found the divorce decree and some paperwork that he left when he moved out and she had a DVRO against him too. He has a history of Domestic Violence and I seriously doubt that this guy will ever be a "sane productive member of society" because of his tendency to violence - he has commited Domestic Violence to BOTH his wives in the past. He is NOT the victim, his ex-wife and I are. And it's not "just" a DVRO, it's a lot more than that. To battered women Domestic Violence (verbal, emotional or physical abuse) means low self-esteem, no self-confidence, the feeling of being not worth anything and eventually the victims believe the degradation that the husbands constantly show. I don't have ANY respect for men who lay their hands on women and despise men who act like it was the woman's fault what they did. I believe that by admitting and confessing during the court hearing in October 2005 (that was the last time I've seen him) that he did what he was accused of, that he automatically got a Domestic Violence conviction. He was ordered to go to Anger Management but he never went. Some people never learn and I truly believe that this guy should NEVER be able to carry a gun, join the military, law enforcement or work in a hospital.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">