• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe Barr

Michigan is were I reside. This past month ownership decided to offer 401k plans to employees at Hungrey Howies pizzia. However, not all employees were offered such an investment plan. Only management had the option for the 401k plans. I feel this is job specific discrimination towards the drivers due to tax purpeses and or the lack of respect.
I have talked with management about the issue with little movement.
I would greatly appreciate options and advice. Thanks Joe.

moburkes

Michigan is were I reside. This past month ownership decided to offer 401k plans to employees at Hungrey Howies pizzia. However, not all employees were offered such an investment plan. Only management had the option for the 401k plans. I feel this is job specific discrimination towards the drivers due to tax purpeses and or the lack of respect.
I have talked with management about the issue with little movement.
I would greatly appreciate options and advice. Thanks Joe.
How long have you worked there?

moburkes

Could it be that only full-time employees can get such benefits? Are you full-time?
I thought that originally, but, looking at the department of labor's website, the only thing that I could find is about a waiting period from 3 to 12 months, depending upon state, which companies can exercise, but, nothing about part time or full time or exempt or non-exempt status.

MyHouse

Wow, thanks moburks... I've never heard of part-time employees getting any kind of benefits. I'm surprised that there was no mention of part time or full time status.

mlane58

They can also brek down benefits into different classes such as exempt vs. nonempt or Management vs. non-management.

moburkes

They can also brek down benefits into different classes such as exempt vs. nonempt or Management vs. non-management.
Thanks. I was looking for that, but didn't come across it. All I could find was the time period before a person could become eilgible. Appreciate the correction.

mlane58

Thanks. I was looking for that, but didn't come across it. All I could find was the time period before a person could become eilgible. Appreciate the correction.
Anytime Mo, also it will depend entirely on how the plan description is written.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">