• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age of Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spklav97

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Got a question.
Indiana's AOE is 21. Arizona's AOE is 18/Graduated from high school.
Boy is 17, has GED, does not attend school, and lives in Arizona with his mom.
The original order is in Indiana. Does Indiana have any exceptions that you could petition the court for?

JETX

The original order is in Indiana. Does Indiana have any exceptions that you could petition the court for?
You can petition the court for anything you want. The court would determine whether your claim is valid or not.
The age of emancipation in the other state has NO bearing on the order in Indiana.

spklav97

I guess I should have been more clear. What would I have to do in order to begin this petiton? Could I do it without an attorney? Would I have any basis out of already existing law with which to make this petition?
More than likely Arizona will leave us alone at age 18. But Indiana will still be accruing charges until 21.

LdiJ

I guess I should have been more clear. What would I have to do in order to begin this petiton? Could I do it without an attorney? Would I have any basis out of already existing law with which to make this petition?
More than likely Arizona will leave us alone at age 18. But Indiana will still be accruing charges until 21.
If Indiana has jurisdiction, then when he turns 18 (not before) you file a petition to declare him emancipated for the purposes of child support. Even though he has his GED, you won't have any hope of emancipating him until he is at LEAST 18.

If he goes on to any kind of post-secondary school...then you won't be granted the emancipation.

Silverplum

Arizona has nothing to do with this particular court order. It was issued in Indiana. Unless it has been domesticated in AZ, any change will occur in IN court, based on IN CS laws.

Silverplum

That's really not even an option for you, because that's jurisdiction shopping and you won't be allowed to get away with that.
That's absolutely TRUE, and I forgot to mention it in my post. Thanks, LdiJ.

Poster, LdiJ is in IN. She knows IN law, so pay close attention to what she posts on the topic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">