• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appliance Replacement / Repair Costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingRon

The repair/replacement clause (initialed or not) as you've paraphrased in here does not imply that they were agreeing to buy you a new dishwasher. Replacement implies like kind.

Gadfly

At best the wording of the lease is highly questionable.

What is this a top of the line replacement? Geez, go to the scratch and dent place and get a unit for $150.00 or less.

Fl_renter

Blah, I shouldn't read and do other things at the same time, I was thinking the dishwasher was the newer item, not the Fridge.

I wouldn't pay you $500 to replace a 10yo dishwasher. Every website that lists a "life expectancy" for that appliance says 10-12yrs so good luck with trying to steal money from your previous tenants.

Alaska landlord

Bet is that the dishwasher would have outlived anything you could buy today for half of what was paid. I like the idea about the scratch and dent store. Another option available is to determine if you personally need a new one and if so, take it out of your home and place it in your rental. If your tenants are going to break stuff, then let it be USED stuff.

fairisfair

That would be easy enough... Also, my wife and I lived at this house before moving into our new home and the 10 year old dishwasher was far superior in function and quality then the one we replaced it with. So, your 10 year old piece of crap comment may refect what's in your home (or rental), but not what's in ours.

The dishwasher's premature death was due to tenant neglect. If I replaced the dishwasher with the same brand and with the same functions, the dishwasher alone would have been $500.00... not including labor and/or delivery.

Also, I sit down with all my tenants and walk them through each and every line on the lease to make sure they understand. Several sections I require initials next to the language to ensure they understand after they read it.

I like the suggestions made by Alaska... nice! :D
Dude, any 10 year old dishwasher is a piece of crap. Yours or anybody's.

As for liking Alaska's suggestions, of course you do, you share the same brain.:p:rolleyes:

rather than insulting one another because of a difference of opinion, why not address the issue at hand, which I think has been answered a few times, with many suggestions.

If you got 10 years out of a dishwasher, which has a normal useful span of 11 years (average dishwasher life is 11 years per Resercon Company http://www.resercon.com/householdappliances.html) meaning that dishwasher had 1 year of usefulness left. you'll have to take the original price of the unit, divide it by 11, and multiply that number by the number of years left for the dishwasher - and that's the most you could probably charge the tenant for the repair/replacement of the unit. If I were a judge, I would probably enter a judgment accordingly.

that's just my opinion tho.

--Dave.

fairisfair

rather than insulting one another because of a difference of opinion, why not address the issue at hand, which I think has been answered a few times, with many suggestions.

If you got 10 years out of a dishwasher, which has a normal useful span of 11 years (average dishwasher life is 11 years per Resercon Company http://www.resercon.com/householdappliances.html) meaning that dishwasher had 1 year of usefulness left. you'll have to take the original price of the unit, divide it by 11, and multiply that number by the number of years left for the dishwasher - and that's the most you could probably charge the tenant for the repair/replacement of the unit. If I were a judge, I would probably enter a judgment accordingly.

--Dave.
Oh, Dave, isn't that just a really nice way of saying, he will get about $50 for the piece of crap???? :p:p:p

--Dave.
Thank you everyone... This place is better then watching Crossfire. :D

Oh, Dave, isn't that just a really nice way of saying, he will get about $50 for the piece of crap???? :p:p:p
That was the intent ... LOL ;) it'd be a good defense in court against a LL coming in and saying "I had to pay 449.00 to replace my dishwasher" ... Imagine the look on the judges face when the tenant came back with "but it was a a 10 year old dishwasher that according to research had one year left of useful life".

--Dave.

One thing to question is what is the definition of "AVERAGE" life? What is defined as their representative sample to make up the average to ensure all variables are accounted for in their sample? This can be deceiving. Research can be swayed one way or another.

Last edited:

Alaska landlord

I have over 30 dishwashers that were purchased back in the 80's. In the last 2 years I have had to replace 2. The crap you buy today will probably not make the 10 year mark.

I have over 30 dishwashers that were purchased back in the 80's. In the last 2 years I have had to replace 2. The crap you buy today will probably not make the 10 year mark.
So, in your professional opinion and based on your experience, would you say that the "average" life expectancy noted above is moot and that appliances can last considerably longer if not abused by tenants? :D

Alaska landlord

I believe you said it was 25 years old, so I think it's near the end of it's life expectancy, but I would not be surprised if it outlived you. Unfortunately, The courts would probably side with the tenants as to its value. I would charge 50.00 bucks, raise my rent by 20 or 25 dollars, pull the one out of my home and install it in the tenants apartment. I would then buy a high end dishwasher for myself. :D

fairisfair

I believe you said it was 25 years old, so I think it's near the end of it's life expectancy, but I would not be surprised if it outlived you. Unfortunately, The courts would probably side with the tenants as to its value. I would charge 50.00 bucks, raise my rent by 20 or 25 dollars, pull the one out of my home and install it in the tenants apartment. I would then buy a high end dishwasher for myself. :D
And there we have it. The final say, piece of crap=$50.

dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">