• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received first 2 point of my life...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moburkes

I've never come across an insurance company that doesn't charge for accidents. Never. I'm also still trying to understand your logic as to why you shouldn't contact your insurance company.

fcobarr

Joe - being that my situation was a citation for reckless and speeding I did take an attorney with me. Not sure how I would have faired on my own. Between court fees and the new negotiated citations I paid between $600-$700 + attorney fee. Definitely a costly lesson learned.

fcobarr

Moburkes - I can't say for sure they don't charge for accidents but it's not on the magnitude of premiums being doubled, tripled or worse, being dropped. One year (15 yrs ago) I did receive notice I was on "probation" but that was the extent of it. I settled down and when the next renewal came around, I was ok again. Case and point - I had a rather unfortunate and major accident in 06 (my fault) in which my insurance company will pay out well in excess of $250K. I was renewed without issue in 07 and my premium on an older vehicle (no collision) is approx $600. I don't know if my 08 renewal will be affected by all this, but I will wait and see.

fcobarr...With 9 points, I likely would have approached it the same way you did. Glad it worked out to your satisfaction.

moburkes...Welcome to the wonderful world of NJM. However, you pluralized the discussion to "accidents". While they don't penalize for accidents, I do know that multiple accidents in a short period of time will land you in their reinsuraance affiliate, which does carry higher rates and 5 tiered categories which the rates are based on. In response to your question...In this day and age, calls that you make to all sorts of entities get documented in the computer system. It is not wise to call the insurance company and have this sort of inquiry documented. That's not to say that the information will definitely be used to their advantage, but one should avoid taking that chance if at all possible.

FlyingRon

My company surcharges 40% for three years for a chargable accident. They do let bank a 20% credit or so for not having an accident for a long time that can decrease the surcharge. Of course, the rate increase is a drop in the bucket compared to having teenagers on your policy.

moburkes

fcobarr...With 9 points, I likely would have approached it the same way you did. Glad it worked out to your satisfaction.

moburkes...Welcome to the wonderful world of NJM. However, you pluralized the discussion to "accidents". While they don't penalize for accidents, I do know that multiple accidents in a short period of time will land you in their reinsuraance affiliate, which does carry higher rates and 5 tiered categories which the rates are based on. In response to your question...In this day and age, calls that you make to all sorts of entities get documented in the computer system. It is not wise to call the insurance company and have this sort of inquiry documented. That's not to say that the information will definitely be used to their advantage, but one should avoid taking that chance if at all possible.
Good grief. I could document all day long. It won't affect your rates.

tammy8

It is a sad fact that most people believe that insurance offices are evil******************************************.

I am more than happy to advise someone on how tickets and accident affect their policy. Can't tell you the times I have had conversations that started "if only you had called me".

And most offices do not have the ability to add points to a policy, just because. It is usually up to the main office in pulling driving records and then surcharging points.

The only way I am able to do that is to personally contact underwriting and make it an issue. If you are nice to me, I will go over and beyond my customer service duties.

moburkes

They'd rather listen to people who have no affiliation with insurance, who don't know what the hell they're talking about, who lead them in the wrong direction, though.

They prefer not to contact their agent or customer service. They think we're bad people. They think that we don't realize that they have the choice to go to another company, and drop us immediately.

Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tammy8...Thank you so much for providing some insight into the insurance business as well as your role within the business in handling customers. It was refreshing to get some insight as to who has the "power" to make premium changes. I'd still question whether all companies are as customer friendly as your company is, but you do shed a different light on the subject. Thanks for your post!

moburkes...Here is your "input" into this topic:

“You can expect them to raise your premium.”

"I suspect it because I am a licensed insurance agent in several states, including....
However, the easiest place to get that answer is the insurance company itself. See, really very simple."

"And, I'd love to know who gave you this advice. The person probably wasn't an underwriter, an agent, or a processor."

"I've never come across an insurance company that doesn't charge for accidents. Never. I'm also still trying to understand your logic as to why you shouldn't contact your insurance company."

"Good grief. I could document all day long. It won't affect your rates."

"They'd rather listen to people who have no affiliation with insurance, who don't know what the hell they're talking about, who lead them in the wrong direction, though.

They prefer not to contact their agent or customer service. They think we're bad people. They think that we don't realize that they have the choice to go to another company, and drop us immediately.

Whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well. I haven't been led in the wrong direction through my sources. I got my answers. But quite frankly, you had numerous opportunities to do some elaborating the way in which tammy8 did, you provided very little usable information, no friendly responses, and yet you are offended. In any event, at least you learned something. Some companies don't charge for accidents or violations, particularly if it's the first one. Mine doesn't, it is what they're known for, they are the best insurance company in the state of NJ, and most people WANT in but cannot GET in. Thanks to my wife, I'm in as her spouse, and I'm glad indeed.

moburkes

Saying that an insurance company doesn't charge for the FIRST violation or the FIRST accident is very different from saying that they don't charge for accidents. Many, many insurance companies have the policy of not charging for the FIRST violation or accident. It is called accident forgiveness, and is extremely common. Your insurance company is not special in that regard.

But, again, I don't know of a single insurance company that doesn't surcharge for ACCIDENTS at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">