• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

current position/employment threatened for taking approved vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizabelle217

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband had his vacation time approved several months ago. Due to some issues that have happened at his company and an increased amount of business, they have requested that he does not take his vacation as approved and scheduled. He was told he had to make a decision between his job and his vacation. They are most likely going to terminate him or demote him if he goes. If he does recieve a demotion they will decrease his pay as well. Can they really do this?

mlane58

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband had his vacation time approved several months ago. Due to some issues that have happened at his company and an increased amount of business, they have requested that he does not take his vacation as approved and scheduled. He was told he had to make a decision between his job and his vacation. They are most likely going to terminate him or demote him if he goes. If he does recieve a demotion they will decrease his pay as well. Can they really do this?
Absolutley! First, the employer isn't required to provide vacation and second the employer can determine when the employee uses that vacation. Perfectly legal.

MtHoodRising

I second that advice...

Have your husband cancel the vacation and start looking for a new job. When I was running large accounts for my former employer, if we got into a squeeze, I would ask an employee to change a vacation date, I would offer a day or two comp to help show good faith with that person. This situation shows the "true colors" of the company and/or management. "Take this job and sh_ve it..."!

MtHoodRising

I know it's not...

--but you just never know these days who you will offend. Ok - here goes:

SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE, SHOVE!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, that feels better...

Betty

Yes, it is legal to terminate him or demote him & decrease his wage as long as they do not decrease his wage below the min. wage. The employer makes all the decisions regarding vacation - employee has to follow them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">