• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father claiming disability...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

my ex is psycho

What is the name of your state? GA, NCP in FL
My psycho ex is supposedly trying to get disability. Now, I know he does have some medical problems, but nothing that actually stops him from working.. though it's the perfect excuse he has been waiting for since we were married...:mad:

Anyhoo- my main question is- how does cs work when NCP is on disability?

BL

If the Ncp is already paying CS , the Ncp would petition the court for modification .

If the Ncp would receive SSDI ( from work history ) , the Child(ren) would also be entitled to an amount from the disability .

That could be applied toward CS .

If SSI only ( not enough work history credits ) , the children would not be entitled to benefits from the disability .

In either case the Ncp may be required to pay a minimum amount also , depending on the State's regulations .

GrowUp!

What is the name of your state? GA, NCP in FL
My psycho ex is supposedly trying to get disability. Now, I know he does have some medical problems, but nothing that actually stops him from working.. though it's the perfect excuse he has been waiting for since we were married...:mad:

Anyhoo- my main question is- how does cs work when NCP is on disability?
Depends on the disability and the determination of the Social Security Administration and/or his doctor.

MyHouse

And to OP: If you are not a mental health professional, then it is not up to you to determine whether or not he is fit to work. You say he is psycho, but you say he can work. If he is mentally that bad off, then he truly may not be able to hold a job.

Something you may want to check into is if he is approved for SS disability, can your children receive benefits as well?

Good luck.

nextwife

And to OP: If you are not a mental health professional, then it is not up to you to determine whether or not he is fit to work. You say he is psycho, but you say he can work. If he is mentally that bad off, then he truly may not be able to hold a job.

Something you may want to check into is if he is approved for SS disability, can your children receive benefits as well?

Good luck.
Or, if mental health issues, an employer may not consider him a desirable employee due to the employer's liability to other employees if anything happened.

Also, if he is unemployed and has some pre-existing medical issues, an employer may take a pass on hiring him due to the cost to the group plan, or due to potential loss due to time-off under sick-pay.

These days, employers are able to run all sorts of pre-employment screenings and choose the employees that have the least likelihood of needing time off, medical care, disability, etc.

What is his job skill? Is it something he could readilly do as self-employed, if he has trouble getting an employer to take him on

my ex is psycho

Ok.. well, I may not be a "mental health professional", though I have worked in the mental health field for 8 years, but I know LAZY when I see it. And he is lazy and loves to work at that. Mentally, there is nothing that stops him from having a job.. though it does seem to keep him from holding a job. He has been self employed all his adult life, or works with his brothers in different types of construction. But even his brothers get fed up with his bad attitude and laziness and get rid of him after a while. So, I guess he has finally run out of brothers to mooch work off of and his only option now is to mooch of the government.
As for his kids, he always has some lame reason why he cannot support them. Though I never hear from him, just his new wife, with all the excuses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">