• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Allowance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdrn

What is the name of your state?Colorado

In May I accepted a position at a hospital in Denver to be a Nurse on a specialized surgical unit. As part of the offer the hospital paid me a lump sum to relocate from out of state. I relocated and started my orientation period at the hospital. They closed the unit soon after I arrived. Since then I have bounced all over the hospital on 5 different units and have landed on a unit completely out of my specialty with different hours etc. I am taking another job and resigning my employment. My relocation agreement specifically lists my
unit of hire. Am I responsible for repaying the relocation expenses?

mlane58

In May I accepted a position at a hospital in Denver to be a Nurse on a specialized surgical unit. As part of the offer the hospital paid me a lump sum to relocate from out of state. I relocated and started my orientation period at the hospital. They closed the unit soon after I arrived. Since then I have bounced all over the hospital on 5 different units and have landed on a unit completely out of my specialty with different hours etc. I am taking another job and resigning my employment. My relocation agreement specifically lists my
Unless you have a bona fide contract---Yes you have to repay the money, it's called stealing! Don't be surprised when the hospital sues you in court to recoup their money.

sdrn

Unless you have a bona fide contract---Yes you have to repay the money, it's called stealing! Don't be surprised when the hospital sues you in court to recoup their money.
Did you not read my post? I specifically stated that I have a contract---and yes it does list my unit of hire with my specific job description. I cannot see how under any definition if they break the contract I would be guilty of stealing...They moved me out here...They cancelled my job due to reasons having nothing to do with me. If you aren't going to take the time to read the post kindly save me the time and keep you opinion to yourself. Thank you!!

mlane58

Did you not read my post? I specifically stated that I have a contract---and yes it does list my unit of hire with my specific job description. I cannot see how under any definition if they break the contract I would be guilty of stealing...They moved me out here...They cancelled my job due to reasons having nothing to do with me. If you aren't going to take the time to read the post kindly save me the time and keep you opinion to yourself. Thank you!!
Don't cop an attitude, you never stated in your orginal post that you had a contract

So show where it states that. Very, very few positions have a bona fide contract. I would be willing to bet you do not have a contract but rather an offer of employment, which a hugh difference. Contracts will show the terms (include length, type, etc....) of the contract, notice to terminate, non-competes, confidentiality. So unless you have one that outlines most if not all of this criteria and more, all you have is an offer letter.

ecmst12

OP has a contract to repay the relocation amount if she quits before a specified length of time, not a general employment contract.

OP, you will need to show your relocation agreement to an attorney in your area to find out whether it is enforceable.

sdrn

I'm just not understanding how acceptance of relocation funds, used to relocate for a specific job can be called "stealing" as you put it. Is there no onus on the institution that hires someone for a specialized position to actually provide that position in exchange for these funds? What responsibility does the employer have towards the employee? I would be interested in a broader range of opinions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My opinion is that you are looking for there to be a law that says you don't have to pay back the relocation bonus, and there is no such law.

Show the documentation to a local attorney. The devil is in the details and the exact wording counts. ONLY an attorney in your state who has read the entire agreement can give you a definite opinion. Anyone else is only guessing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">