• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with award

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pecher25

What is the name of your state? DE

I was a member of the team that won "Innovation Award" at my company earlier this year. The prize was 1-week all-inclusive vacation to a Florida resort for employee+spouse (significant other) with a total value of about $3000 grossed up on W-2. Since I was in my 3rd trimester at the time I couldn't take this vacation and was offered a deferment until the end of the year instead.

A few weeks after the delivery I was informed that because of the "critical nature" of the role and loss of protection under FMLA (I had to take some time off due to pregnancy complications) my position was no longer available.

When I inquired about the award I was given a run-around and HR respresentative wouldn't take my phone calls.

Am I legally entitled to the award (or its $ equivalent) at this point ? If so, what are the options ? I was only given a verbal confirmation of deferment and don't have anything in writing.

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

pecher25

Taxes are not a concern as the award was supoosed to be grossed up. In other words W-2 would reflect an extra $4000 ($3000 award + ~35%).

Since I was technically an employee at the time I requested the award (they gave me 2 weeks to secure another position prior to termination) I don't see on what basis they had rights to deny it.

moburkes

Taxes are not a concern as the award was supoosed to be grossed up. In other words W-2 would reflect an extra $4000 ($3000 award + ~35%).

Since I was technically an employee at the time I requested the award (they gave me 2 weeks to secure another position prior to termination) I don't see on what basis they had rights to deny it.
Because there is no law that states that they are required to. They accomodated you by allowing you to take the trip later. They didn't need to accomodate you after you were no longer an employee.

mitousmom

Does your company typically provide awards earned to employees terminated? Did you get the money, but not the trip or didn't get both?

pecher25

Because there is no law that states that they are required to. They accomodated you by allowing you to take the trip later. They didn't need to accomodate you after you were no longer an employee.
Well, I requested the award right after receiving the letter. At that point I didn't have my position, but wasn't terminated either. Termination was to take place 2 weeks later, so I assume I was still an employee at the time. Not sure if there is any significance to that.

AFAIK, there are no rules governing these awards. Looking back, I think I should have requested a travel voucher as an accomodation. But the notice came as a total shock.

Thanks to all who responded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">