• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex-employer casually disclose my financial earnings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B5S4

What is the name of your state? Utah

So I am pretty much in the same business as before and the market is close-knit so once something is said it usually finds it's way everywhere. Anyway, I heard a rumor my old boss told someone he didn't know why I quit because I made x amount of money (which the amount was totally incorrect), but isn't there something I can do to make him legally not say anything? He has already threatened to sue me (with legal papers from a lawyer) if I tell any of my friends/customers where I now work.

I seem to have wasted a few years helping him start the business (I didn't have anything financially vested in the business but LOTS of time not being paid for) so I wouldn't mind somehow getting paid for that time lost even though I quit that job. I quit because I finally realized I was going nowhere in the business and would never make any more money than I was and he was cutting the benefits of working there drastically.

Any ideas?

thanks
hans in Utah

justalayman

but isn't there something I can do to make him legally not say anything?
and he has no rights to disclose his expenditures to others? Why would you believe the pay he gave you is privilaged information?

moburkes

You aren't going to be compensated for time long because YOU decided to work somewhere where you had no future. NOW, if you were not paid for time worked, THAT is a different story. People don't get compensated for making bad emplyment choices.

justalayman

after reading your post again Hans, if you can document hours and you were a non-expempt employee, file a claim with your department of labor for the unpaid hours.

Now, I am curious as to what the ex employer is threatening to sue you over. Your post is a bit lacking of clarity.

acmb05

after reading your post again Hans, if you can document hours and you were a non-expempt employee, file a claim with your department of labor for the unpaid hours.

Now, I am curious as to what the ex employer is threatening to sue you over. Your post is a bit lacking of clarity.
My guess is he signed a no compete clause. Now that he is working for another company he can't tell any of his contacts from the first company and try to steal them away.

moburkes

My guess is he signed a no compete clause. Now that he is working for another company he can't tell any of his contacts from the first company and try to steal them away.
Many non-competes are against public policy. OP didn't seem to be especially concerned about the threat of a lawsuit. His concern appears to be about his ex employer spouting off his salary. Well, it is legal to tell that information. He should, however, be giving accurate information.

B5S4

Sorry for being so vague but I don't really know what to say about it. I wasn't paid for all the work renovating the building and don't have any documentation other than hundreds of photos in the owners possession, which I may be able to get if I ask for them. I would be interested in seeking money for that time worked.

I never signed a non-compete with the company. He gave me the following papers a couple of days after I left, sorry for the poor picture quality...

http://www.cerealab.com/law/page1.JPG
http://www.cerealab.com/law/page2.JPG

So he thinks I have all the business info on my computer because I was foolish and kind enough to loan my computer to the business because he couldn't afford to buy one that was fast enough for the business at the time. I have since formatted everything and started over to get rid of any junk that was on it, so I don't have anything anymore.

Pretty much as I read the papers, if I call any of our parts suppliers and want to set up an account, he can sue. Or if I call one of our customers whom is a friend as well and tell them I moved shops, he can sue. At least that's how he made it sound.

I am just mad about him telling other people (specifically friends at other shops) exaggerated amounts of how much money I made.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't blame you for being upset, but he did not violate any laws in disclosing your salary and you have no grounds to sue on that account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">