• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing over parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seniorjudge

she has stated that she will not be asking for child support. she does have the means to support the baby financially on her own. yes i do know how much it cost to raise a baby i have two of them. she would still be receiving financial support from us however just through personal means and not legally, just to clarify.
A parent generally cannot waive child support since it is the kid's money, not the parent's money.

Also, if ma receives one penny of our money, then ma and pa both will be liable for paying the kid's support and repaying the taxpayers.

I'm tired of supporting other people's kids....

nextwife

IF she is, indeed, financially qualified to "go it alone", she should adopt as a single. After all, she ALREADY believes adoption is desirable, else she wouldn't be planning to have her future husband adopt. There are many tens of thousands of ALREADY born kids in the world who need homes and love. Surely a child that arrives in her life via adoption is no LESS lovable, wonderful or desirable than one who comes to her through her vagina?

And if she goes THAT route, SHE is solely responsible no matter what she later decides.

Last edited:

casa

To whom does this guy intend to "sign over his rights"? Is there another man who is ready to take on the rights and RESPONSIBILITIES of being the father, i.e. adopt the baby?

I recommend an immediate vasectomy and that he stop having sex with women until he is ready to accept the responsibilities that may come with it. He's going to have to deal with being responsible for the life that he has already created.
he he I LOVE this response! ;)

casa

What is the name of your state? ohio

someone i know wants to sign over his rights to his child when it is born ( due in October). the mother of the child would agree to the father signing over his rights and agree for him to not pay child support as well. how does he go about signing over his rights. what forms are needed? does he have to go to court to do this since both parties agree? or would it be best for him to not sign any birth certificate or take a paternity test and just have the mother say that is father is absent or she doent know who to father is and have the rights relinquished that way? what is the best way to go about this and how do we do it?
Here's the legal deal: Dad OR Mom cannot 'choose' to Terminate Parental Rights. Most states require a step-parent (AT THAT TIME) to adopt the child. It does not matter that the parents 'agree'.:rolleyes: The Court decides. Period. The taxpayers do not deserve to end up liable for a child that 2 adults conceived & therefore should be responsible for. Without both parents supporting the child~ That is what we are opening the door to.

Mom can say she does not know who the father is....sure. But then she's committing fraud and the system is cracking down on that. Again, taxpayers are tired of bearing the burden.

casa

no she wouldnt qualify for it.
You can't make that assumption bc you have NO IDEA where Mom will or will Not be 2, 4, 8, 10, 15 yrs from now. See the point the legal system is making with the statutes for TPR? :cool:

They cannot just decide to TPR. That's your answer. That's the ONLY answer

jade0326

The taxpayers do not deserve to end up liable for a child that 2 adults conceived & therefore should be responsible for.
it seems that a lot people are concerned with the taxer payers ,etc... this will not happen she couldn't even if she wanted to! she has got money lot of money but that is not the issue here right now. please every i am not the father or the mother i just wanted some advice and this situation i thought thats what this site was for. thank you to all of the people that have given me advice without criticizing me.

casa

it seems that a lot people are concerned with the taxer payers ,etc... this will not happen she couldn't even if she wanted to! she has got money lot of money but that is not the issue here right now. please every i am not the father or the mother i just wanted some advice and this situation i thought thats what this site was for. thank you to all of the people that have given me advice without criticizing me.
It's not criticism. I'm TELLING you why the law is the way it is. It's because taxpayers bear this burden HEAVILY every day. THAT IS WHY people cannot just 'choose' not to be a parent, once they already ARE.

Stop seeing criticism & start seeing the answer to the question you asked. It's NO.

casa

i do appreciate your advice, thank you.
Mom can still 'stipulate' to a very small CS amount & they can file the paperwork. He doesn't have to see/visit the child. However, remember that at ANY time Mom can just go to court & file for state guideline support.

Personal opinion: (Yes, I realize no one is lining up for it :D)
What's interesting, is how all of you are going to explain to this child Who is Who? Mom is a 'family friend'...and you & Dad already have 2 kids together...and this child is just a 'baby'. :confused: The grown ups in this situation need to start behaving like grown ups.

jade0326

What's interesting, is how all of you are going to explain to this child Who is Who? Mom is a 'family friend'...and you & Dad already have 2 kids together...and this child is just a 'baby'. :confused: The grown ups in this situation need to start behaving like grown ups.
yes, this is obviously complicated, as for telling with baby who is who i am leaving that up to the them. as for my kids i really havent gotten there yet i am still trying to deal with this situation myself i have a little time to figure it all out however. my daughter is 2 and my son in just 9 months. this is something that hasnt been easy for me. i am just trying to figure it all out and what the best thing would be for my babies first and then for this child. i am sorry if that sounds bad but my babies will always be first to anyone in this earth. thank you again.

LdiJ

Mom can still 'stipulate' to a very small CS amount & they can file the paperwork. He doesn't have to see/visit the child. However, remember that at ANY time Mom can just go to court & file for state guideline support.

And have you considered that your two children will be siblings to this child? That they will have a brother or sister out there that they may never get the chance to know?

nextwife

And have you considered that your two children will be siblings to this child? That they will have a brother or sister out there that they may never get the chance to know?
My daughter has at least four biosiblings "out there" (that had been born before her) that she will never know. Could be more by now. Many kids live with that reality.

CourtClerk

Alright, I figured this out a little while ago. If not, sounds like a plausible story.

Father cheated on girlfriend (OP) and the girl in question got pregnant. OP is pissed off about it (with merit) and father and op need a way to make this better so her 2 kids don't get slighted. Father and OP decide (apparently getting mother to go along with this:confused: ) to let father throw away his kid and become the neighbor next door or the mailman or the ice cream man or the man at the grocery store. Now, he's such an upstanding individual that he will throw away his kid, but he will absolutely send a small stipend to mother for "support." Not child support, because he doesn't intend on this being his child... just "support."

I vote for adoption. Give this child to SANE parents.

OP... just let prince charming know that no matter how "complicated" this situation is, he will need to be able to explain it (in detail) to a judge so that the judge can hear it, then (hopefully) deny his request for a TPR. No one, (IMO) has considered the best interests of the child in all of this... everyone involved seems to be considering the best interests of the adults, or maybe where you are concerned, the best interests of YOUR children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">