• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer "CANCEL" accrued sick time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pogo

What is the name of your state?
Michigan

My employer has had a written policy indicating that sick time accrues and unused time "rolls over" to the next year. I have worked at the company for years and I rarely called in sick. As a result, I have accrued 7 weeks of sick time.

My employer wants to cancel the sick time policy and take away the time.

Are there any legal requirements for the employer to compensate me for that time ?

Thanks !

hateworking

Nope. They arent required to give vacation/sick/time not worked of any kind. As long as they notify you of the policy change before its time to pay up, then nothing is illegal.
Seems like their stock holders arent satisfied with quartley reports so now they are taking away employee benefits to help compensate?:mad:

Betty

I agree. In Mi. as long as you are notified of a change in sick pol., it is legal to do so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not aware of any state where sick time is a protected benefit.

Betty

xylene - I like your answer.

cbg & pattytx - me neither - I don't know why I mentioned the state in my reply (was no need to) - It was late for me & I was tired. That's my excuse. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">