• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nurse negligent????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redlady

What is the name of your state? Florida

my mother had been complaining of shortness of breath for 3 days but wouldnt use her oxygen. her home health nurse came to visit and found her short of breath, she had her wear her oxygen then noticed her blood pressure was high (190/110) she called her doctor and he said for my mom to go to the ER. that is when she called me. my mom wanted me to take her, so i told the nurse i would. mom told the nurse she was fine and she could go, so she left. mom says before she left she checked her blood pressure again and it was 180/90 which was better than before, instructed her to leave oxygen on and to go to the ER. by the time i got there my mom was very ill and i had to call 911 for an ambulance. was the nurse negligent by leaving my mother at home even if my mom said she was ok, and she was talking and walking when she left??? do i have a case of neglicence or abandonment??

Angry

ssxm

you told her to leave and so did your mother.how do you tell someone to leave then try to blame them for leaving ? possibly if only your mother told her to go then yes i could see abbandonment or negligence. but you yourself told her she could go.

lya

my mother had been complaining of shortness of breath for 3 days but wouldnt use her oxygen. her home health nurse came to visit and found her short of breath, she had her wear her oxygen then noticed her blood pressure was high (190/110) she called her doctor and he said for my mom to go to the ER. that is when she called me. my mom wanted me to take her, so i told the nurse i would. mom told the nurse she was fine and she could go, so she left. mom says before she left she checked her blood pressure again and it was 180/90 which was better than before, instructed her to leave oxygen on and to go to the ER. by the time i got there my mom was very ill and i had to call 911 for an ambulance. was the nurse negligent by leaving my mother at home even if my mom said she was ok, and she was talking and walking when she left??? do i have a case of neglicence or abandonment??

Angry
The nurse did nothing wrong, nothing below the standard of care. If the nurse had failed to notify the physician and failed to communicate to the caregiver (you), then the nurse would have failed to provide care at the minimum level required. You should be very thankful for the nurse's recognition of a problem and for handling the problem appropriately. Instead, you choose to be angry with someone who did nothing but help your mother. Hopefully, you have communicated your anger to the Home Health agency so that your mother's case can be closed and you can find someone else to care for your mother. No nurse should have to be subjected to your attitude.

Perhaps you are in denial about your mother's health. Your mother is not and was not a well person. She is/was also what is termed a non-compliant patient, ie: not wearing her oxygen when she knew she needed it.

Perhaps that you feel guilty that you were at work and not available to make sure your mother followed her treatment plan. There is no need to feel guilty; you cannot control your mother's deteriorating health and you can do little to prolong her life.

Give yourself and everyone else a break!

redlady

negligence??

Florida,
i didn't tell the nurse to leave, my mom did and i think she should have still waited. my mother almost died, if the nurse would have been there maybe she could have done something to prevent that at least call 911 if she was that sick.

abaga

Angry

IF, and I do mean IF, there is a case of negligence, YOU would NOT have a case against anyone, but your MOTHER might!!!

I still can't figure out why people think they would have a case when nothing at all happened to them, but to someone they care about.

Everyone wants to sue......go make money elsewhere!!!!

lya

Florida,
i didn't tell the nurse to leave, my mom did and i think she should have still waited. my mother almost died, if the nurse would have been there maybe she could have done something to prevent that at least call 911 if she was that sick.
The nurse could not have done anything to prevent anything from happening.

The nurse had no duty to sit and wait for you to come to take your mother to the hospital. Your mother was not only stable, but her BP was improved at the time the nurse left.

Your mother nor you have any claim of negligence against the nurse.

I do feel very strongly that the nurse needs to be protected from you. You need to notify the Home Health agency of your concerns so your mother can be assigned another nurse or a different Home Health agency.

I believe you have created a hostile situation in which no nurse should be expected to enter or allowed to enter.

redlady

negligence??

Florida,
I do think there might be a case, what are home health nurses for if it isn't to be sure that the patients are safe. my mother almost died. the least the nurse could have done is wait for me to get there so i could take her to the ER. I feel she abandoned her resposibility by leaving my mother.

lya

Florida,
I do think there might be a case, what are home health nurses for if it isn't to be sure that the patients are safe. my mother almost died. the least the nurse could have done is wait for me to get there so i could take her to the ER. I feel she abandoned her resposibility by leaving my mother.
Well, you keep thinking that. It doesn't change facts.

I urge you, again, to make sure no nurse enters a home where you have any input or influence.

redlady

negligence??

florida.
exactly, I'm glad someone sees thing my way. my friend who is a nurse told me that this nurse should not have left my mom. it doesnt matter that my mom told her to go or not she still shouldnt have left her anything could have happened and it did. wouldnt you agree this is negligence?? she also told me that i should report this nurse because she doesnt deserve to be licensed.

las365

redlady, FYI, you don't need to put your state in every post.

Did your mother leave the oxygen on between the time the nurse left and you arrived?

msiron

Florida,
I do think there might be a case, what are home health nurses for if it isn't to be sure that the patients are safe. my mother almost died. the least the nurse could have done is wait for me to get there so i could take her to the ER. I feel she abandoned her responsibility by leaving my mother.
How did she ALMOST die? Was there some life saving ER measure taken? Did EMS in-route after picking up your mother perform some life saving measure? Upon arrival to the medical center was your mother operated on and can you prove it was only needed due to the nurse leaving who by the way is NOT a doctor nor is she authorized to act as one? or was she stabilized at the medical facility then sent home.

redlady

negligence??

no she didn't receive any surgery. and she did have her oxygen on, when i got there my mom was unresponsive. I'm not sure what EMS did on the way, but even the nurses in the hospital told me she almost died, she was in Congestive Heart Failure.

I am an ER TRAUMA NURSE in the state of Florida. I will tell you that from what I have read, I don't see how you could possibly attack the nurse for anything. Should she had stayed with your mom, maybe...but she was not required to.

How is it that your mom's health was so life-threatening? We have people come in the front door with HBP, chest pain, SOB etc and some via ambulances...we give them a couple of chewable baby aspirins, do lab work, 12 lead EKG, chest x-ray and check their vitals. Based on our findings, that determines their priority.....hook them up to the monitor, start an IV and have the doctor evaluate them further by checking their cardiac enzymes and troponin levels. Not all of them are life-threatening as you would say.

180/90 is high, but not life-threatening. Is she on any BP medication? Nitro pills? Did she exhibit any other signs. Chest pains, numbness, ams, alter-mental status, swelling around lower extremities, extreme sob etc...

You were aware of the situation and chose to tell the nurse that you would take her. Your mother told her to leave. If you felt it was life-threatening, why did you tell her that and not have 911 called then. She might have deteriorated in the time you spoke with the nurse and the time you arrived, but you made that choice. Maybe you didn't rush over there fast enough. The nurse called the doctor and it was suggested to go to the ER. Don't try and place the blame on the nurse. We take an oath to help save people's lives, but are constantly blamed when things don't go right, even when we do everything possible. Next time, I suggest you don't interfere and let the trained professionals do what they are trained to do. Hopefully you are not one of those that are just looking for an excuse to sue. This case is unfounded. I hope the nurse doesn't have to deal with you again. I know I would not want to.

Last edited:

moburkes

no she didn't receive any surgery. and she did have her oxygen on, when i got there my mom was unresponsive. I'm not sure what EMS did on the way, but even the nurses in the hospital told me she almost died, she was in Congestive Heart Failure.
And, when your mother was in congestive heart failure, what would the nurse have been able to do?
Your mother had been short of breath for 3 days, yet did nothing about it. She refused to use her oxygen. Yet the nurse is responsible for your mother's inaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">