• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this harassment & should it be pursued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

modo

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I recieved a call from a former work associate seeking advice. She is working on industrial construction project as safety manager. Apparently, another female started a rumor about my friend passing nude photos around the job. It has made my friend uncomfortable at work because of all the comments and whispers. She was advised by a fellow worker that she has a harassment case and wanted a second opinion from me. Since she is above the workers harrassing her, Im not sure it would be worth the effort or if there is a case. My question to her, what do you expect to get if you do have a case. Is it worth it and what would happen?

mlane58

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I recieved a call from a former work associate seeking advice. She is working on industrial construction project as safety manager. Apparently, another female started a rumor about my friend passing nude photos around the job. It has made my friend uncomfortable at work because of all the comments and whispers. She was advised by a fellow worker that she has a harassment case and wanted a second opinion from me. Since she is above the workers harrassing her, Im not sure it would be worth the effort or if there is a case. My question to her, what do you expect to get if you do have a case. Is it worth it and what would happen?
One comment doesn't consitute harassment, sexual or otherwise. Have your friend tell this individual to stop and have her go to HR or her supervisor and make the complaint.

moburkes

One comment doesn't consitute harassment, sexual or otherwise. Have your friend tell this individual to stop and have her go to HR or her supervisor and make the complaint.
Yep, agreed. Nor does a lie constitute harrassment. WAS she passing some type of photos around?

modo

i understand that one comment is nothing to worry about, but this one comment from one person has spread to all 1500 workers and now its not one but many.

moburkes

So, you never did make a statement about the rumor. Where did it come from? And, how do you know that 1500 people have been told the rumor?

modo

So, you never did make a statement about the rumor. Where did it come from? And, how do you know that 1500 people have been told the rumor?
It started when friend was disciplining a crew for a violation and a female or other in crew was attempting to get back at her, I guess. Friend says that she hears or overhears comments all day long throughout the entire job site. Its not just one work area that gives her trouble, its the entire job.

modo

Yep, agreed. Nor does a lie constitute harrassment. WAS she passing some type of photos around?
lol... I asked the same question! (as a joke and her response was " Im 50 years old why would i do that)
No she didnt pass around photos

las365

As already stated, she needs to start by filing a report/complaint with HR. They should investigate and the person(s) responsible should be disciplined and/or fired. If HR ignores her report or she is retaliated against for filing it, that would be the time for her to consider taking it to the next level.

Once started, rumors are hard to stop. Your friend is going to need to work on developing a thick skin to get through this. She needs to be tougher than the subordinates who ae out to get her, and show them that.

mitousmom

Your friend should be aware that when she reports the rumor to management, she is effectively reporting that an employee is accusing her of sexual harassment, i.e., showing nude photos on the job. Management will have to conduct an inquiry into that accusation. Your friend will be the subject of the investigation, not whoever is circulating the rumor. Management may seek to determine who is circulating the rumor; but may not. It's a stretch to argue that accusing someone of engaging in sexual harassment is a form of sexual harassment.

modo

update- I spoke with friend today. She, as well as the rumor starter, has been suspended until it can be resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">