• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dont know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casa

THe current case is my fiance getting a change of residence based on emotional abuse and neglect. Child protective services has been involved so there is some sort of paper trail. The mother did threaten the child that if "she got mad one more time that she would leave, take her other 2 children, not child in question, and leave the child with the grandparents." CPS did make demands on the mother and to his knowledge has not kept up with the demands. Of course he does not realize what his rights are so that is why I am asking here in hopes to be somewhat enlightened. :) How can he get documentation of the mother no longer living in the home? The apartment is and always has been under the grandparents name. Do we call CPS and let them know that the mother is still drinking alcohol and becoming intoxicated in the presence of the child even though she as per CPS and the court is to not be? Do we call CPS and ask them to document where she is living? DO we contact social services and let them know that the mother is possibly collecting assistance for a child that does not live with her? My fiance has no idea where to start. Obviously he needs an attorney but does not have the money for one. We've tried to save up and are just unable to. ( I am saying we because I do help him financially and would help him financially in this situation.) Thanks a bunch for your advice. :)

Ashlee
If the child is in DANGER~ then call CPS, otherwise, Don't. They aren't landlords, they are child advocates...and overburdened, under-funded ones at that.

Dad can file any documentation/evidence he has to establish the child is not living with Mom. Then the Court decides.

CJane

If the child is in DANGER~ then call CPS, otherwise, Don't. They aren't landlords, they are child advocates...and overburdened, under-funded ones at that.

Ya know, I always hear this, but I never knew just how true it was til I looked up the statistics the other day...

# of hotline (emergency) calls last year in MO... 700,000+
# of hotline calls that resulted in action (meaning they were 'founded')... 7000

So, 1/100 calls is an ACTUAL emergency.

These calls have to be responded to in 72 hours or less. That means, when Stupidhead calls the hotline because he's mad at me, the case worker (and there aren't many in my county) has to drop everything, get in touch with the police department, round up an officer and come to my house to interview my kids (who I only have a few days/week anyway) w/in 3 days. And in the meantime, someone else - someone who actually NEEDS services - isn't being seen.

So yeah... don't call CPS. Call Pizza Hut.

casa

Ya know, I always hear this, but I never knew just how true it was til I looked up the statistics the other day...

# of hotline (emergency) calls last year in MO... 700,000+
# of hotline calls that resulted in action (meaning they were 'founded')... 7000

So, 1/100 calls is an ACTUAL emergency.

These calls have to be responded to in 72 hours or less. That means, when Stupidhead calls the hotline because he's mad at me, the case worker (and there aren't many in my county) has to drop everything, get in touch with the police department, round up an officer and come to my house to interview my kids (who I only have a few days/week anyway) w/in 3 days. And in the meantime, someone else - someone who actually NEEDS services - isn't being seen.

So yeah... don't call CPS. Call Pizza Hut.
Double Pepperoni w/cheese crust please :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">