• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic Partnership - health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karriwhel

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi I have found myself with an issue. My boyfriend & I have been living together for 8 years, with no intent to ever get married (seems things work out without that piece of paper somehow :) until now of course. So I have been working at the same place for 8 years & have had him on my insurance for that same amount of time classified as domestic partnership. I have since left that job about 3 wks ago & have found my new company will not cover him under my insurance since we are not same-sex partners. They have however said that if I choose to call him my husband for now on that they will cover him under spouse, but then if we ever needed to drop him from coverage I would have to provide them legal documentation of the divorce. I take full responsiblity for fault because I hadn't realized that individual companies could make up their own policies regarding this & I had just assumed since both companies headquarters were out of California & they both used the exact same insurance plan that I would have no issues. My question is, is there any law in Texas or anything that sets precedents that would say that these people should cover opposite-sex domestic partnerships? I feel penalized now & had I known about this I would not have choose to quite my last job until all medical issues w/ my partner had been resolved. YIKES what to do? :mad:

Thanks in advance!

Silverplum

Hi I have found myself with an issue. My boyfriend & I have been living together for 8 years, with no intent to ever get married (seems things work out without that piece of paper somehow :) until now of course. So I have been working at the same place for 8 years & have had him on my insurance for that same amount of time classified as domestic partnership. I have since left that job about 3 wks ago & have found my new company will not cover him under my insurance since we are not same-sex partners. They have however said that if I choose to call him my husband for now on that they will cover him under spouse, but then if we ever needed to drop him from coverage I would have to provide them legal documentation of the divorce. I take full responsiblity for fault because I hadn't realized that individual companies could make up their own policies regarding this & I had just assumed since both companies headquarters were out of California & they both used the exact same insurance plan that I would have no issues. My question is, is there any law in Texas or anything that sets precedents that would say that these people should cover opposite-sex domestic partnerships? I feel penalized now & had I known about this I would not have choose to quite my last job until all medical issues w/ my partner had been resolved. YIKES what to do? :mad:
Thanks in advance!
It's all just pieces of paper. ;)

You don't want to get married, but you want the full, transferrable bennies of being married. Such is life. You make your choices, you take your chances.

Just Blue

Thanks in advance!
No there is no law that will force a company to supply health insurance to your boyfriend. Texas DOES have Common Law Marriage so you could go that route...And when you separate you would have to get a divorce.

Betty

Tx. is a state that does not have a state law requiring employers to offer spousal benefits to same-sex partners or common-in-law spouses. It would be up to the employer.

ecmst12

I'm confused, isn't "common law" marriage legally the same as traditional marriage? Isn't that the whole point?

Just Blue

I'm confused, isn't "common law" marriage legally the same as traditional marriage? Isn't that the whole point?
Not quite...Employers do not have to offer insurance to cl couples..The theory being that if you want the benefits of marriage then get married. Common Law marriages evolved in the pioneer day where it was difficult to travel to a clergy to get married.

xylene

""Husband"" (boyfriend) could get his own health insurance.

You could ask your HR if you could get your share of health benes paid into you own private family plan.

You could get married with STRONG prenup.

I forgot to add, you could lie, as was suggested by your HR...

Last edited:

Beth3

My question is, is there any law in Texas or anything that sets precedents that would say that these people should cover opposite-sex domestic partnerships? I feel penalized now & had I known about this I would not have choose to quite my last job until all medical issues w/ my partner had been resolved. YIKES what to do? Either get married or have your BF find a job that offers health benefits to him. Many employers do not offer health insurance to domestic partners.

whatehva

In TX, even if you have a "domestic partnership", don't you still have to file for divorce? :confused: That's my understanding...b/c it is a common law state. That's why my BF and I haven't gone the domestic partnership route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">