• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Changing Healthcare Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NJ

Interesting scenario here. Would love to get the typically very knowledgable input from you!

My employer sent paperwork and held 2 open meetings in Oct. 2006 explaining that, although our carrier was remaining the same, our health coverage was changing. This is part of overall company cost-cutting. We had to choose 1 of 2 coverages: an "HRA" plan (which has a deductible with employer reimbursement), and a "new traditional" plan (no deductible). My employer CLEARLY was hopeful of 100% participation in the "HRA" plan. I believe that my employer gave 2 options for a reason, very likely a legal one. Their pre-meditated goal was, I strongly believe, to get a vast majority of the employees to voluntarily "comply", then to later urge the rest. I bucked the trend, for good but not obvious reasons. Less than 1% of employees chose the plan that I entered.

I was called into the comptroller's office today. Interestingly, he told me that with such a small number of employees in the plan, it was not financially feasible to keep it in force. Lo and behold, my employer decided that beginning January 1, my only option now is the HRA plan. (Of course I can get insurance elsewhere. That is not the point, though. I'll be using my company's). He said he thought it would be a good idea to notify me personally, and that I should, sometime over the next week, go into payroll and sign the "voluntary" enrollment form. Can you say red flag? I have to question, after receiving so much "formal" written information in the past, why I received THIS notification verbally and "not-so-formally", from an executive I rarely have any contact with to boot, and not in writing. Of course, when I sign the "voluntary" enrollment form, I enroll "voluntarily"! Would love your thoughts on the company's legal aspects or concerns here!

Additionally, it was in writing in Oct. 2006 and I am fully aware that I lost a bit of retirement health benefit "for good" by not going into HRA for 2007. The comptroller verbally states that I will receive the same benefits that the other HRA members have received, but conveniently admits he's not 100% as to what I'm referring to. Obviously, since I no longer have a choice but to enroll in HRA for 2008 in order to take advantage of the benefit, I would like to receive the same full retirement health benefit as the HRA members who enrolled "dutifully" for 2007. After all, I didn't know that the "new traditional" plan was going to be temporary (though I'm not at all surprised)! Would appreciate thoughts, as well, on how to approach this.

Thank you so much!What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Shay-Pari'e

The company has the right to switch insurance plans, and you have the right to choose one.

I'm sure somebody that knows more about this will answer your question , more specific.

mlane58

What is the name of your state? NJ

Interesting scenario here. Would love to get the typically very knowledgable input from you!

My employer sent paperwork and held 2 open meetings in Oct. 2006 explaining that, although our carrier was remaining the same, our health coverage was changing. This is part of overall company cost-cutting. We had to choose 1 of 2 coverages: an "HRA" plan (which has a deductible with employer reimbursement), and a "new traditional" plan (no deductible). My employer CLEARLY was hopeful of 100% participation in the "HRA" plan. I believe that my employer gave 2 options for a reason, very likely a legal one. Their pre-meditated goal was, I strongly believe, to get a vast majority of the employees to voluntarily "comply", then to later urge the rest. I bucked the trend, for good but not obvious reasons. Less than 1% of employees chose the plan that I entered.

I was called into the comptroller's office today. Interestingly, he told me that with such a small number of employees in the plan, it was not financially feasible to keep it in force. Lo and behold, my employer decided that beginning January 1, my only option now is the HRA plan. (Of course I can get insurance elsewhere. That is not the point, though. I'll be using my company's). He said he thought it would be a good idea to notify me personally, and that I should, sometime over the next week, go into payroll and sign the "voluntary" enrollment form. Can you say red flag? I have to question, after receiving so much "formal" written information in the past, why I received THIS notification verbally and "not-so-formally", from an executive I rarely have any contact with to boot, and not in writing. Of course, when I sign the "voluntary" enrollment form, I enroll "voluntarily"! Would love your thoughts on the company's legal aspects or concerns here!

Additionally, it was in writing in Oct. 2006 and I am fully aware that I lost a bit of retirement health benefit "for good" by not going into HRA for 2007. The comptroller verbally states that I will receive the same benefits that the other HRA members have received, but conveniently admits he's not 100% as to what I'm referring to. Obviously, since I no longer have a choice but to enroll in HRA for 2008 in order to take advantage of the benefit, I would like to receive the same full retirement health benefit as the HRA members who enrolled "dutifully" for 2007. After all, I didn't know that the "new traditional" plan was going to be temporary (though I'm not at all surprised)! Would appreciate thoughts, as well, on how to approach this.

Thank you so much!What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
The answer is going to change from the other forum. Most members belong to several of the forums and the answer you recieve was from a benefits expert "cbg".

While I appreciate cbg and the expertise, cbg did not provide an answer to this point to either of my 2 questions. Merely made a comment.

Thanks for responding. These are the only 2 questions I had, quoted:

Would love your thoughts on the company's legal aspects or concerns here!

Would appreciate thoughts, as well, on how to approach this.
The first question references the fact that the company originally offered 2 plans, even though it clearly through it's actions wanted all employees in HRA. It seems they offered 2 plans for a reason, possibly a legal one. It is also clear that they want it to be "choice" to sign up for HRA. The fact that I am not receiving anything in writing that my plan is closing, but am being asked verbally to sign up "voluntarily" for HRA, is further proof. There is something legal here. I DO have a notion. There is a reason that the company approached these steps in this manner, and I'm asking if anyone would have any knowledge, or even notions, to share. (CBG has already brought up the fact that there is a "legal issue", but has not yet elaborated.)

The second question references the portion the company picks up post-retirement after Medicare. The company put in writing that anyone NOT signing up for HRA for 2007 would have a smaller amount picked up by the company post-retirement. Kind of doesn't seem fair now that the company just 1 year later is offering just the HRA option. I would like to get the benefit, based on the circumstances, as though I signed up for 2007. "Verbally" I was told I don't lose anything, but the comptroller claims to be not 100% sure what I'm taking about, and claims payroll dept. will better answer my question. I have an idea of how to handle it. I'm asking if anyone can share how he or she would approach the payroll dept. if he or she were in my circumstance.

Thanks for your time and interest!

moburkes

Neither one of those were questions, but I am sure the first situation that you described was legal. I have no expertise on the 2nd. But, cbg IS an expert on both, so, whatever you were told in the other forum is correct. If you feel that you didn't receive an answer in the other forum, then return to that forum, and ASK a question this time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
CBG was out of town with no internet access for several days. If you return to the original forum, you will find the legal issue that you raised addressed.

Since you don't seem to care for my answers, I will not subject you to any here.

whatehva

I dont have any legal advice, but, I can tell you why your employer was pushing for the HRA. It saves them money, and it helps to prevent people from abusing their benefits by making it more of a consumer driven product.

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't choose the HRA over the HMO or whatever the other choice was. You don't have to pay anything out of pocket until your employer reaches the max of what portion of the deductible they handle. Then, it's all your responsibility to pay the additional funds. If you don't go to the Dr much, it will honestly save you money. OR if you go a lot (like I do), if your employer offers an FSA, you should sign up for that...money pre-tax to pay your bills with. Again, no out of pocket. You only see what's taken out of your check.

Anyways, just my 2 cents worth...HRA costs the company less and makes you more of a knowledgeable healthcare consumer--which is what we all need to be anyways..

Thank you, whatehva! You are truly a breath of fresh air on a site loaded with people with attitudes and egos. I come here because occasionally I run into nice, respectful people like yourself.

It IS true that HRA is a wonderful plan. No denying that. My employer also currently covers the deductible 100%. Also wonderful. The problem is that they did not guarantee 100% beyond 2007 (minor negative 2008 changes have been made, but so far, the 100% coverage has stuck). So, CURRENTLY, HRA is better than the plan I chose, which had no deductible.

If my company decides (and they of course can) that they only want to cover 25% of the deductible beginning 2009, the plan I chose becomes MUCH better. And remember, once in HRA, you could not switch.

Anyway, the decision was made for me. By mouth, I was told that only HRA would now be offered due to "limited participation", and I "voluntarily" signed the new forms. I was really looking more toward some expert legal input, and I realize that this is probably not the right place for it.

Thank you for the advice. You are a delight!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">