• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax ID Number vs SS Number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PFAKENNY

What is the name of your state? CA

I am not sure this is right forum...
To build up credit history and get credit score, it should be social security number? Or those who only have tax id number can get score? Major three credit bureau company will know such number is tax id or ss number?

Thank you in advance!!

JETX

To build up credit history and get credit score, it should be social security number? Or those who only have tax id number can get score? Major three credit bureau company will know such number is tax id or ss number?
What are you calling a 'tax ID number'??
Do you mean an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number)??

If you are using an ITIN number instead of your Social Security number to try to dodge your existing bad debts, it is illegal. You are committing fraud. It is illegal to alter your identifying information, including identification numbers in an effort to avoid payment of debts or to open new accounts.

PFAKENNY

No.
My friend only have ITIN right now and when we pull his credit, there is some account which off course he obtained before. And, now he is coming to US and staying for a few years(getting appropriate visa) He needs to get auto loan to buy car and question comes that if he can apply and get auto loan with ITIN and build up credit history with this ITIN only if he can stay longer. I suggested him to get SSN when he got visa status...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">