• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It Kidnapping?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

Alaska is where we were divorced and custody was established.... am i going to have to move back there?
No, you don't have to MOVE there, but that's where the court orders reside and that's the state from which you would hire an attorney, and that's where you will file contempt.

Hmm... the plot thickens... how did you move to CO? Did you get dad's ok AND the court's?
nothing in writing... holy god this is the last time i do ANYTHING without getting it in writing.... *banging head on desk momentarily*
so what you are saying is my ex can force me to stay in Alaska?
i cant live there... i have SAD... its why i left AK to start with.... the dark is awful!!! anybody know a lawyer that will work for the best darn chocolate chip cookies in town?

BL

Read up on the PKPA .

You don't say if it's Joint Legal , or just joint custody .

I'd start with the court's chief clerk to make sure there's been no superseding order .

If not , and it falls under the PKPA , contact the local DA where the order was made .

Sometimes they are reluctant to file , but depending on the State , there are SOL some 6-7 years to file .

If you can get the Law enforcement involved , they should find away to re-unite you .

Read up on the PKPA .

You don't say if it's Joint Legal , or just joint custody .

I'd start with the court's chief clerk to make sure there's been no superseding order .

If not , and it falls under the PKPA , contact the local DA where the order was made .

Sometimes they are reluctant to file , but depending on the State , there are SOL some 6-7 years to file .

If you can get the Law enforcement involved , they should find away to re-unite you .
um whats the PKPA???

majomom1

oh whew... i love the place but i just CANT live there
No you don't have to move there, but if you relocated the child out of Alaska, without permission, then he may have contempt on you... You may not be able to remove her from Alaska, without a new court order.

Given the issues with your son, are you allowed to leave the state at this point?

Yes I am allowed to leave the state... i dont reside in Nebraska anymore.. Im currently living with my parents in Colorado as thats all i can afford at the moment... As long as i show up for court dates and follow the case plan of calling him 2 times a week and writing him at least once im in compliance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">