• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certificate of Non-harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misi

What is the name of your state? New York New York

I am considering buying a investment property which had been a duplex with a 4 SRO units on the two floors above. The owner never got the certficate of non-harassment but the property is presently vacant. I understand that it can take some time to get a certificate of non-harassment and that the property cannot be altered in the meatime. However, could I buy it and then just rent out the SRO units as is? They are in great shape and would work perfectly for roomates, as they would each have a private unit with a shared bath. Thanks.

BL

* Tell me about Non Harassment.
Non harassment is a certificate issued by the city that is a must when you are converting a shell from an SRO...you need to get it before you start with a building permit and it is issued after the city investigates whether or not the previous tenants were harassed out of the building by a previous owner for the previous three years.

Misi

But could I rent out the rooms while I'm waiting for the building permit and the city is investigating? thx.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">