• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I retrieve my personal property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bj21

What is the name of your state? NY

For the last 7 years I have lived in an apartment with my mother (who was the only one on the lease).

In July 2007 my mother accused me of assaulting her, resulting in Assault 3 charges being lodged against me and an Order of Protection being issued.

Because of the Order of Protection I was told that when I went back to the apartment I would have to be accompanied by police, yet each time I went (twice) to get my property,
the police told me I could only take my clothes.

My mother no longer lives in the apartment, the lease on which runs through
March 2008, and I have no idea if the rent is still being paid on the apartment.

I would like to know how I can go about retrieving the rest of my property? (I have asked my Public Defender and he said he has written a letter to the ADA handling the case,
yet the ADA said he has no idea of how to go about getting my property back and my P.D. doesn't either).

Any help anyone can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

You Are Guilty

As long as the RO says "no going to mother's residence" and your mother no lover lives there, you can just go to the apartment yourself and get your things whenever you have the time.

bj21

The RO states my mothers previous address (her current address at the time of the RO).
Do I have to tell the judge she has moved and ask him to change the RO?

xylene

the police told me I could only take my clothes.
Demand proof in law of what you have been 'told'.

I strongly suspect these officers just didn't want to dick around with your stuff AND not ignite a conflict of whose stuff is whose....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">