• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Force employee to work while on vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bnies

Illinois

As an employer, do I have the right to force an employee to come in to work while he/she is on vacation? There is no internal policy or CBA adressing this issue.

eerelations

Since you're not legally required to give employees vacation time at all, then certainly you're allowed to force them to cease said vacations any time you wish.

mlane58

An employer can dictate when and how a vacation is to be used. I would highly suggest you do implement a policy discussing vacation to CYA.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I've been called in from vacation, but they helped me out 'comp' wise to; I was salary. From a legal perspective, you can. From an employee morale point, it probably not wise. Turnover is costly for a business.

Beth3

Illinois

As an employer, do I have the right to force an employee to come in to work while he/she is on vacation? There is no internal policy or CBA adressing this issue.
Sure. I've been called into work while on vacation and I've also had to require an employee to come in while on vacation. It's not something anyone enjoys having happen so I wouldn't do it unless it's unavoidable.

CourtClerk

I've been called in from vacation, but they helped me out 'comp' wise to; I was salary. From a legal perspective, you can. From an employee morale point, it probably not wise. Turnover is costly for a business.
I have never been called in from vacation. Why? Because I don't answer the phone. I don't answer the door. I don't respond to my email. I don't even read it if it is from work. I cease to exist on days when I am on vacation.

Can't call me in if they can't reach me. :D;)

TinkerBelleLuvr

I have never been called in from vacation. Why? Because I don't answer the phone. I don't answer the door. I don't respond to my email. I don't even read it if it is from work. I cease to exist on days when I am on vacation.

Can't call me in if they can't reach me. :D;)
Dedicated fool here. I'm the ONLY one who does payroll. When on vacation, I field the calls that come in so that someone can run payroll while I'm gone. It's generally only a couple of calls. When on 24/7 support of a large system, I was well compensated to be 'called' in.

tranquility

This may be difficult for some who have stepped out to the ocean and called out, "Hey it's me!"

Bob Seger, Feel Like a Number:
I take my card and I stand in line
To make a buck I work overtime
Dear sir letters keep coming in the mail
I work my back till its racked with pain
The boss cant even recall my name
I show up late and Im docked
It never fails
I feel like just another
Spoke in a great big wheel
Like a tiny blade of grass
In a great big field
To workers Im just another drone
To ma bell Im just another phone
Im just another statistic on a sheet
To teachers Im just another child
To irs Im just another file
Im just another consensus on the street
Gonna cruise out of this city
Head down to the sea
Gonna shout out at the ocean
Hey its me
And I feel like a number
Feel like a number
Feel like a stranger
A stranger in this land
I feel like a number
Im not a number
Im not a number
Dammit Im a man
I said Im a man

macalyne

Don't answer phone good idea ... but ...

But I have been told that my failure to answer my phone will result in negative performance review!!! P.S. Additionally have been told that I will not be reimbursed for cell phone minutes used for work purposes. (My personal cell phone!)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Given that this thread is from 2008, I doubt the OP is coming back for more responses. If you have a question, please start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">