• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another ? about moving....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am the mother in this situation and I have been just sitting back and reading the posts for awhile now just trying to learn. I have questions of my own about moving......

I am wanting to move out of state and I have two children that I have sole custody of....

Dad "A" pays support and has visitation order. He moved over two hours away almost two years ago and I am wanting to move now also. Where I am wanting to move would actually be about the same amount of distance from him now. I know all the steps I have to take as far as letting the court and dad know about the move. Could he actually force me to stay here and a court allow it even though with the move it would still be about the same distance apart? I am not trying to keep child away from him in any way.

Father "B" has been an absent parent now for almost five years. There is an order for support that his mother is now paying for him but there is no visitation order. I do not know where he is located at, I have been told he is in CA but dont know for sure. His mom lives in FL and is sending support from her home address for him (she is the one paying the money not him). All I have for him is a yahoo email address. Now I want to do everything legal, so am wondering how do I inform him of the move? Do I just send him an email and print out a copy of it or do I send a certified letter to his mom's address since it looks like support is coming from there and thats the address the court now has for him?

Sorry that this issue has been done to death but wanted info regarding my situation and I am not moving to be with a new husband/boyfriend/fiance or anything like that. Thank you for your time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am the mother in this situation and I have been just sitting back and reading the posts for awhile now just trying to learn. I have questions of my own about moving......

I am wanting to move out of state and I have two children that I have sole custody of....

Dad "A" pays support and has visitation order. He moved over two hours away almost two years ago and I am wanting to move now also. Where I am wanting to move would actually be about the same amount of distance from him now. I know all the steps I have to take as far as letting the court and dad know about the move. Could he actually force me to stay here and a court allow it even though with the move it would still be about the same distance apart? I am not trying to keep child away from him in any way.

Father "B" has been an absent parent now for almost five years. There is an order for support that his mother is now paying for him but there is no visitation order. I do not know where he is located at, I have been told he is in CA but dont know for sure. His mom lives in FL and is sending support from her home address for him (she is the one paying the money not him). All I have for him is a yahoo email address. Now I want to do everything legal, so am wondering how do I inform him of the move? Do I just send him an email and print out a copy of it or do I send a certified letter to his mom's address since it looks like support is coming from there and thats the address the court now has for him?

Sorry that this issue has been done to death but wanted info regarding my situation and I am not moving to be with a new husband/boyfriend/fiance or anything like that. Thank you for your time.
As far as dad A is concerned, its not likely that a judge would prohibit the move if it would have no effect on dad A's visitation. Since you say that the distance will be aproximately the same, there is really nothing to worry about.

As far as dad B is concerned, I would notify him at his mother's address, since that is the only address you have for him. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about him too much.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As far as dad A is concerned, its not likely that a judge would prohibit the move if it would have no effect on dad A's visitation. Since you say that the distance will be aproximately the same, there is really nothing to worry about.

As far as dad B is concerned, I would notify him at his mother's address, since that is the only address you have for him. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about him too much.
I agree but I do have one question -- is the move in or out of state? THAT could have some impact. And did dad A move within or out of the state.

I am wanting to move out of state. Dad A moved within the state. Whereas I am about two hours north of him right now where I am wanting to move would be about two hours south of him.

LdiJ

I agree but I do have one question -- is the move in or out of state? THAT could have some impact. And did dad A move within or out of the state.
Unless there are unusual circumstances to a case, Indiana judges generally don't have a problem with a move away if the status quo can be maintained, even if it does cross a state border. In this case, the distance will be basically equal, so I don't anticipate that she will have a problem.

OP, based on the fact that you are in Muncie and two hours north of dad, my guess is that you are moving to either the Cincinnatti area or the Louisville area, and dad is in Indy. Am I close? If so, you are fudging the equal distance a tad, but not much. You had best plan an exchange point that is a bit closer to dad, or agree to meet halfway if dad is currently providing the transportation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">