• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accrued vacation and sick time disappeared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ladydragonfly

What is the name of your state? PA

I have worked for 7 years in a small non profit. We have written policy (which we must sign off on at time of hire) that details personal time, vacation and sick time accrual rates, maximum hours to carry forward into the next calendar year, disbursementat time of accrued benefits at employment termination, etc.
The issue: 7 weeks ago, I looked at the accrual at the bottom of my direct deposit stub. Vacation time should have been 150+ hours, sick time 170 ish hours and personal time 10.5 hours. Instead, the totals read 13.78 hours, 14.03 hrs and -6.0 hrs, respectively. The office manager claimed that the "accrual rates" had been miscalculated by the former OM. When I resoponded that I had checked and that my accrual rate was correct, and that didn't explain all of my benefits disappearing, she laughed and stated that it was accurate. She then stated that 9 days vacation had not been properly deducted (also inaccurate, per appropriate paystub accounting)The Executive Director (new hire) has assured me he will "look ionto it," but nothing has been done. The OM continues to state that I have all the benefits I'm entitled to.
Question: can an employer, without notice, take accrued (earned) benefits? What legal recourse do I have? How can I prevent this from happening in the future?
Thanks for the helpWhat is the name of your state?

JETX

Question: can an employer, without notice, take accrued (earned) benefits?
If they are correct and the time was improperly calculated, yes.

What legal recourse do I have?
You have the 'right' to attempt to prove your claim over theirs. If you can prove yours to a court, you could file a breach of contract suit.

How can I prevent this from happening in the future?
Maybe by making sure that your accounting is accurate AND in compliance with the company policy's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">