• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxed in 2007 or 2008??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2harts4ever

Pennsylvania..... I retired on Nov. 30, 2007. Both my first retirement check from work and my first Social Security check were deposited into my banking account during the first week of January 2008.

So, do I pay taxes on them for 2007 since that is when it was earned or do I wait and pay taxes on them in 2008 since that is when they were paid? :confused:

Thanks and regards,

2harts4everWhat is the name of your state?

2harts4ever

Hi Ginny J,

I appreciate your super fast reply.

Your employer will send you a 1099-R for retirement benefits. THAT is what you use for your taxes.
I am aware of that.

What I am trying to determine is if I will have to claim them on my 2007 taxes since that is when they were earned or in 2008 since that is when they were paid?

Just trying to line up my 'p's and q's' so I will be better prepared for the tax man's arrival.

Thanks and Regards,

2harts4ever

seniorjudge

Hi Ginny J,

I appreciate your super fast reply.

I am aware of that.

What I am trying to determine is if I will have to claim them on my 2007 taxes since that is when they were earned or in 2008 since that is when they were paid?

Just trying to line up my 'p's and q's' so I will be better prepared for the tax man's arrival.

Thanks and Regards,

2harts4ever

...2007 taxes since that is when they were earned...

Ask your CPA...but, as I said, it is when it's EARNED (not deposited).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">