• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed Mother requesting Increased CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? dc

This question is for a my brother. His DS is 10yrs old. He pays CS monthly . The Mother has full physical custody and currently does not work. She was fired from her job a few months ago. She had for a long time but they fired her after they found out she stole money from a previous job and never disclosed that info to them. The apartment she has.....she is in a program where they dont charge her rent when she is not working. She recently filed for an increase in CS. Father thinks Mother is filing for increase because she is not working.

What are her chances of getting an increase? Will CSE impute an income for her or consider her involuntary impovershed? What is the best approach for him. Thanks.

Bloopy

Father thinks Mother is filing for increase because she is not working.

What are her chances of getting an increase? Will CSE impute an income for her or consider her involuntary impovershed? What is the best approach for him. Thanks.
You’re thinking along the right lines… an income will be imputed. The amount imputed is negotiable. The work of the case is really on Mom.

If Mom can prove she CANNOT go back to earning what she was, a lower amount should be imputed.

If Mom cannot show reasonable efforts to gain employment, she’s screwed.

Did Dad have evidence of her free apartment last time?

2Mistakes

Is this in the District of Columbia?

If so, according to the Office of the Inspector General's 2000 report, which you can read here:

http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-05-99-00391.pdf

DC is one of 3 places that DO NOT impute incomes.

This report was in 2000, but it is the most recent. Hopefully things have changed since then.

You can find this info on page 15 of the report.

2Mistakes

Holy Crap! Thanks 2Mistakes.
LOL, Bloopy. I've learned SOOOOO much today researching trying to get an income imputed for my ex.

I stumbled on that report, and it's chock full of info.

I just don't know that it is still accurate. The report was published in 2000, but it is the most recent report from the Office of the Inspector General.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? dc

This question is for a my brother. His DS is 10yrs old. He pays CS monthly . The Mother has full physical custody and currently does not work. She was fired from her job a few months ago. She had for a long time but they fired her after they found out she stole money from a previous job and never disclosed that info to them. The apartment she has.....she is in a program where they dont charge her rent when she is not working. She recently filed for an increase in CS. Father thinks Mother is filing for increase because she is not working.

The other posters left out a very important piece of information. If dad's income has increased since the original child support order was made, even if an income were to be imputed to mom, dad's child support WILL increase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">