• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability and child sopport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleayh01

What is the name of your state? GA

Went to court for child support , ex pulled a fast one on me by claiming disability and that he had insurance on our child. He could not produce the insurance card and told the judge he will start receiving disability checks shortly. How does disability play a role in our child receiving support. He's ordered to pay a wopping $150 a month. How do I get him to give me a copy of this (supposedly) insurance card. (I think he's bs on this).:mad:

BL

Went to court for child support , ex pulled a fast one on me by claiming disability and that he had insurance on our child. He could not produce the insurance card and told the judge he will start receiving disability checks shortly. How does disability play a role in our child receiving support. He's ordered to pay a wopping $150 a month. How do I get him to give me a copy of this (supposedly) insurance card. (I think he's bs on this).:mad:
You don't say what type of disability .

Did the Judge set the amount knowing or taking into consideration disability ?

If he don't provide the ins. information , ask the clerk of the court how to file a motion to compel , or show cause why he hasn't .

aleayh01

You don't say what type of disability .

Did the Judge set the amount knowing or taking into consideration disability ?

If he don't provide the ins. information , ask the clerk of the court how to file a motion to compel , or show cause why he hasn't .
He didn't say what type of disability he's on. He just handed the application to the judge

spoofer

If he's on SSDI the government will provide the insurance for the kid. Not him. And the government will send you a check for half of what he draws each month. So if he gets 2000.00 a month all of his dependants will get 1000.00 a month. I don't see how that's "pulling a fast one" the man is disabled. Give him a break.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If he's on SSDI the government will provide the insurance for the kid. Not him. And the government will send you a check for half of what he draws each month. So if he gets 2000.00 a month all of his dependants will get 1000.00 a month. I don't see how that's "pulling a fast one" the man is disabled. Give him a break.
Like you are giving your husband's ex a break? Or the child a break?

Gracie3787

He didn't say what type of disability he's on. He just handed the application to the judge
Do you have an attorney? If not you need to get a consult with one ASAP.
It's ridiculous that a Judge would accept any party's word on insurance, the Judge should have demanded documented proof, such as a policy or ins. card. If your ex did not have any proof, that MIGHT be a possible issue for an appeal or a reconsideration.

It's equally ridiculous that a Judge would accept an APPLICATION as proof of a disability, the Judge should have demanded documentation proving that ex has already been APPROVED to recieve disability.

Did your attorney (or you if you don't have an attorney) object in court to ex's so called "proof"?

You really need to get a consult ASAP to find out what your options are.

You also need to find out if ex is recieving social security (SSDI) because you can file for benefits for your child if ex is recieving SSDI. If you know your ex's SSN you can contact the SSA to find out what the status is of his claim.

Last edited:
D

deadbeatbeater

Apply in person to SS office

Dont call they wont tell you a darn thing. Just take the childs b certif and go in person to apply. You will get a FAT back check too! My kid got 18 thousand dollars from his Dads SS. The longer Dad is on it and not getting any for you then the more that SS will owe you. or your child rather.

OhReally?

No we sure aren't. She's also not disabled. And it's rude to the poster to just change the subject. If you have a problem with me you know how to use pm.
I highly recommend you get your attitude in check. Like yesterday. It's rude for people like you to cop your stupid 'tudes because you don't get the responses you're looking for. :rolleyes:

OhReally?

It's ridiculous that a Judge would accept any party's word on insurance, the Judge should have demanded documented proof, such as a policy or ins. card. If your ex did not have any proof, that MIGHT be a possible issue for an appeal or a reconsideration.

It's equally ridiculous that a Judge would accept an APPLICATION as proof of a disability, the Judge should have demanded documentation proving that ex has already been APPROVED to recieve disability.
While I agree with you, but, the Judge is not her attorney, so SHE should have been the one to object to any of this, demand proof and not really leave it up to a Judge. Quite frankly, I get sick of Judge's taking this action "on the part" of the CP when they are pro se. If someone is going to go into the courtroom pro se, then they need to defend themselves properly and not expect a Judge to do it for them (not to mention the possible conflict problems that could create, IMO). And too many parents go into court thinking the Judge is going to look out for them.

aleayh01

Spoofer, don't get anything twisted, you're the type of person that will make someone hurt the hell out of you. Your comments are absolutely rediculous! Just shut the hell up because you know NOTHING about this situation. Ignorant child!:mad:

aleayh01

Did your attorney (or you if you don't have an attorney) object in court to ex's so called "proof"?

You really need to get a consult ASAP to find out what your options are.

You also need to find out if ex is recieving social security (SSDI) because you can file for benefits for your child if ex is recieving SSDI. If you know your ex's SSN you can contact the SSA to find out what the status is of his claim.

Yes, I do know his ss# and I will for sure check on his so-called claim:D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

If he handed his application to the judge then he probably does NOT have disability yet. Just to clarify. He has applied. So he was ordered to pay based on something else -- maybe what he did earn before his application. Or maybe what the maximum amount of disability he will receive is. That information is important. The court can order him to give you a copy of the insurance card. If they have and he hasn't, file a motion to show cause. Disability plays a role because a disabled individual is NOT considered VOLUNTARILY unemployed or underemployed.

aleayh01

While I agree with you, but, the Judge is not her attorney, so SHE should have been the one to object to any of this, demand proof and not really leave it up to a Judge. Quite frankly, I get sick of Judge's taking this action "on the part" of the CP when they are pro se. If someone is going to go into the courtroom pro se, then they need to defend themselves properly and not expect a Judge to do it for them (not to mention the possible conflict problems that could create, IMO). And too many parents go into court thinking the Judge is going to look out for them.
Well quite frankly Ohreally, YOU were not there in the court room, therefore you DON'T know what I objected to. I questioned his proof in court and for some odd reason he was only ordered to give the insurance card to me. Further, I'm filing an appeal on this matter, so DON'T assume I sat back and became my ex's doormat.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">