• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How likely is it for an employer to file a judgement for tuition reimbursement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HP10T

What is the name of your state? UT

I worked for Discover Card for 3.5 years of which I only received tuition reimbursement for 2 or 3 semesters. After I quit I was contacted and told that I need to pay back the tuition reimbursement or a judgement would be filed against me for $1200 ?

Last edited:

xylene

What is the name of your state? UT

I worked for Discover Card for 3.5 years of which I only received tuition reimbursement for 2 or 3 semesters. After I quit I was contacted and told that I need to pay back the tuition reimbursement or a judgement would be filed against me for $1200 ?
Well what were the terms of the tuition repayment?

PS Discover Card doesn't issue judgments, COURTS do.

If they sue you what is your defense?

eerelations

I assume that you've signed some kind of document agreeing to repay your employer some part or all of the tuition fees you've been reimbursed if you leave the company before X date...and you're leaving now, some time before X date.

If the above is true, all I can say is that your employer may sue you. But whether or not your employer actually sues you is impossible to say - only a crystal ball can tell you that.

You could hire an attorney to research how many employers have sued their former employees over tuition fees, however, that would cost you a fair amount of money, and it still won't answer your question because the attorney won't be able to compare this number with the number of employers who chose not to sue their former employees who violated their tuition fee agreements.

seniorjudge

Q: How likely is it for an employer to file a judgement for tuition reimbursement?

A: About 50-50, more or less (which are the same odds for any event happening in the entire known universe).

ecmst12

If Discover treats its employees like it treats its customers, I sense a lawsuit in your very near future. You should take the repayment agreement that you signed to a local attorney to find out how likely they are to WIN said lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">