• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxes on zero profit or income??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worthspending

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I formed a LLC mid-year in 2007. I have spent money, however, I haven't made a dime. Not even one sale. This was expected due to the nature of the business. I've heard there is a mandatory tax for the self-employeed.

I am interested in knowing what my taxes will be like this year?? Will I pay anything?? Also, I sold my primary residence in 2007. However, I sold it for the same amount that I paid for it.

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I formed a LLC mid-year in 2007. I have spent money, however, I haven't made a dime. Not even one sale. This was expected due to the nature of the business. I've heard there is a mandatory tax for the self-employeed.

I am interested in knowing what my taxes will be like this year?? Will I pay anything?? Also, I sold my primary residence in 2007. However, I sold it for the same amount that I paid for it.

Thanks
Self employment tax is only assessed on profits, since you don't have any profit, you won't have any self employment tax. However, your losses on the business may be able to offset other income and if not, can be carried forward to future years, to offset future profits.

efflandt

IRS does not require reporting sale of your primary residence unless you have a "gain" that is NOT excluded. Not sure about IN unless their instructions specifically mention reporting that somewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">