• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imailin

What is the name of your state? Florida

I recently find out I am pregnant. I work for a family company for about 3 years now on a full-time basis salary. (i work on the administration) I do the accounting of all the 7 companies these people own, but of course my paycheck comes out of one only. I know that Florida State has something called " The federal Family and Medical Leave " which requires employers of 50 or more employees to give up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to employees for a serious illness or to care for a child, spouse or parent. All 7 companies have at least 300 employees, more or less, but the one I get pay from roughly has 50 employees (all depends if someone get fired or resigns) I am entitle to the federal Family and Medical Leave? If the company always has 50 employees and when I have to leave it only has 49 I am not entitle to get the federal Family and Medical Leave? Please let me know
thank you!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All 50 states have what is called "The federal Family and Medical Leave". The word Federal means that it is applicable everywhere in the US. It does not just belong to Florida. If it did, it would be called the Florida Family and Medical Leave Act. The actual name of the law is the Family and Medical Leave Act. The word, Federal, is an adjective. The name of the law is abbreviated as FMLA.

If there are 50 employees within 75 miles of your location, or if there were 50 employees within 75 miles of your location for 20 weeks of the current or previous calendar year, then FMLA applies.

imailin

All 50 states have what is called "The federal Family and Medical Leave". The word Federal means that it is applicable everywhere in the US. It does not just belong to Florida. If it did, it would be called the Florida Family and Medical Leave Act. The actual name of the law is the Family and Medical Leave Act. The word, Federal, is an adjective. The name of the law is abbreviated as FMLA.

If there are 50 employees within 75 miles of your location, or if there were 50 employees within 75 miles of your location for 20 weeks of the current or previous calendar year, then FMLA applies.
wow! it was just a simple question, I am SORRY I did not know that it was applicable everywhere.... or at least I did not pay attention to the word "federal".
thanks anyways!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not yelling at you. But other people come by and read these posts looking for the answers to their questions and I didn't want to leave the impression that it was a Florida law when it is not. That only confuses people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">