• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce TSP/Fers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kboons

TSP and Fers divorce Apeal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I orginally posted this to the lawyers forum that deals with TSP/Fers but was told to ppost here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Massachusetts.I just got divorced ( not yet 30days ago) I have 2 isuess. 1) the judge failed to understand the outstanding loan/interest I have on my TSP residential loan. He said my ex was not responsible for the due interested I have left on the loan. I want to appeal this.I dont want to hire my lawyer again. Please advise. what I can say to make everyone understand that my ex is also responsible for half this debt. It is $7k.

Massachusetts. Me again. I plan on hiring a CPA to write up my FERS paperwork. Again my ex is getting half. I did not get ANY of ther 401k in the divorce. Can I appeal this decision with the grounds that I did not get any of her 401k. I do not plan on retiring for another 20 years. Why should she get it then? Would the arguement that the $ would not be vested until I retire, which is after the dissolution of the marriage?
I may be grasping for straws, but I dont feel I really had my day in court with the Court Mediator we were assigned

Zephyr

was you not getting any of her 401k maybe an offset of something else you got more of? like the house or the nicer car or something like that?

Kboons

no.I was trying to be nice, I would have taken it if I'd know the arbraitor was going to side with her not paying the tsp interest

Kboons

I had an attorney on a consult basis. He just wrote up the docuement. Exhad her document and the arbritator sat us both down and made us comprimisse. to come to an agreemnt. I was unable to get him to understand the the intereste due on the loan.
I just want to know from any lawyer out there, one who knows TSPs, if I can appeal the decision. And if so what do I need to say , what TSP language to get her to pay for half in interest , as I did not take any of ther 401K (not worth much 2k maybe).

Silverplum

I had an attorney on a consult basis. He just wrote up the docuement. Exhad her document and the arbritator sat us both down and made us comprimisse. to come to an agreemnt. I was unable to get him to understand the the intereste due on the loan.
I just want to know from any lawyer out there, one who knows TSPs, if I can appeal the decision. And if so what do I need to say , what TSP language to get her to pay for half in interest , as I did not take any of ther 401K (not worth much 2k maybe).
I don't think there are any attorneys here who are very experienced in TSPs. You could wait to see if Ohiogal posts -- she's an attorney. :) You probably need your own, local attorney who does have a lot of TSP experience.

Try starting here, see if you can find info:
http://www.fedworkerscomp.net/court.pdf

http://www.opm.gov/retire/html/library/ri84-1/index.asp

http://www.afsa.org/articles/thriftplan.cfm

Those are just a few good hits from Google. I didn't read them myself -- that's up to you. :)

Zephyr

and are you saying you want your ex to pay half the 7K or half the interest?

either way- you are very likely to spend more than either figure (maybe even a combined figure) trying to reopen the issue and get the result you want- keep that in mind

Silverplum

and are you saying you want your ex to pay half the 7K or half the interest?

either way- you are very likely to spend more than either figure (maybe even a combined figure) trying to reopen the issue and get the result you want- keep that in mind
100% agreed.

Kboons

FERS/TSP...Experience lawyers please reply

Thank you all for your replys. I am looking into the urls now.
I was told it costs nothing to appeal, and I can do it myself without lawyers.

I just need to talk to someone who has TSP/FERS experience.
If there is anyone out there.. I was just given a name of a CPA

I will hit her up too..but lawyers please answer away

LdiJ

I may come across stupid here, but despite being an accountant and a tax professional I have absolutely no idea with the initials TSP and FERS mean. If the OP cares to elaborate I might have some advice to offer.

Silverplum

I may come across stupid here, but despite being an accountant and a tax professional I have absolutely no idea with the initials TSP and FERS mean. If the OP cares to elaborate I might have some advice to offer.
Not at all stupid. It's "stupid" to not ask. :)
Those are two of the Federal government employee retirement plans.
TSP = Thrift Savings Plan
FERS = Federal Employees Retirement Something-or-other

Then there was CSRS, which you did not ask about = An older retirement plan that is pretty close to phased out with the oldies. I don't remember what the acronym means.

Imagine it, LdiJ...I, The Silverplum, have provided factual info to you on a matter that borders the financial!!! :eek: :p ;)

I am now ready to retire. :D

LdiJ

Not at all stupid. It's "stupid" to not ask. :)
Those are two of the Federal government employee retirement plans.
TSP = Thrift Savings Plan
FERS = Federal Employees Retirement Something-or-other

Then there was CSRS, which you did not ask about = An older retirement plan that is pretty close to phased out with the oldies. I don't remember what the acronym means.

Imagine it, LdiJ...I, The Silverplum, have provided factual info to you on a matter that borders the financial!!! :eek: :p ;)

I am now ready to retire. :D
And I thank you wholeheartedly for that information.:) with just a bit of :eek: in there too...LOL.

After reviewing the thread I think that the OP needs to be consulting with a local attorney, VERY quickly.

If there were no errors on the part of the judge, then I would have to assume that the judge's decisions had to do with whether or not debt against a retirement account accrued during the marriage, and/or what the debt was for, and whether or not the other spouse's 401k accrued during the marriage, vs the FERS account.

However, without being privy to the details, or being able to review the documentation, I can't comment beyond that.

Judge's are not infallible, they can make errors, however there is a limited amount of time to appeal a potential error. Therefore if the OP believes that an error has been made, a consult with a local attorney, like YESTERDAY, needs to happen.

Silverplum

And I thank you wholeheartedly for that information.:) with just a bit of :eek: in there too...LOL
You're most welcome. :)
I'm still dizzy from the fact that I knew something that had to do with finance/money stuff. I'm a complete doofus on that topic! :eek: :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">