• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not a member??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodteacher

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have worked as a part-time teacher for 5 years. Recently, I had a problem at work with layoffs. I went to my union rep. immediately. While I was waiting for him to call back, the secretary told me she couldn't find my membership on file. During my conversation with my rep., he told me part-time teachers were not allowed to be members of the union. I asked him if I would get my dues from the past 5 years back, about $1000. He said, "maybe."
About a month later, the local union decided they would refund my dues. The national corps. said they wouldn't refund because if I needed a lawyer during that period they would have provided one. The local union said they would refund the money anyway. The total amount was $1078. Should I accept this? I guess they're being generous, but what happened to interest. I've really been screwed with the situation I called him about in the first place. I feel like I deserve more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, for around $60 or less ( the interest you are talking about), you're seriously considering turning down over $1,000? :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, I guess I just wanted to know if I should take it. You gave me the answer. thanks
I would say that your time and effort to get the interest would far exceed the actual amount you *might* get. So, yeah, if it were me, I'd take their offer of paying back what you've paid in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">