• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Office Policy Procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ptgirl-6

What is the name of your state? Md

Upon hiring, we are given a copy ot the Office Policy. However, our employer does not follow a couple of the benefits. They both relate to pay increases. One states that wages are based on working differenct postitions in the office, not the amount of years worked. I can work any position in the Chriropractic office from applying physical therapy to rehab to insurance billing. I am the only employee that can work all the different positions in our office. When I approach the Dr about a pay increase, his comment has been that business is down or he hadn't thought about giving a raise. I found out last night that his business has made more money last year than the 2 previous years. Also this is the first year that he has not paid into our retirement plan. He has not told the employees he wasn't paying the retirement this year, just the office manager. He has asked her to tell us, but she feels this news should come from the Dr. She only told me last night becase I have asked about our retirement fund checks 3 times this month. I believe they have to be paid by April 15 and so far we have not received them.

Can the Dr. offer us benefits and then not act upon them?

lealea1005

What is the name of your state? Md

Upon hiring, we are given a copy ot the Office Policy. However, our employer does not follow a couple of the benefits. They both relate to pay increases. One states that wages are based on working differenct postitions in the office, not the amount of years worked. I can work any position in the Chriropractic office from applying physical therapy to rehab to insurance billing. I am the only employee that can work all the different positions in our office. When I approach the Dr about a pay increase, his comment has been that business is down or he hadn't thought about giving a raise. I found out last night that his business has made more money last year than the 2 previous years. Also this is the first year that he has not paid into our retirement plan. He has not told the employees he wasn't paying the retirement this year, just the office manager. He has asked her to tell us, but she feels this news should come from the Dr. She only told me last night becase I have asked about our retirement fund checks 3 times this month. I believe they have to be paid by April 15 and so far we have not received them.

Can the Dr. offer us benefits and then not act upon them?
Perhaps his overhead percentage has increased more than the money the practice has brought in. How did you obtain the information about the business income? Have you tried speaking directly to him about your concerns?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'd like more information on the retirement plan, please.

1.) Are you talking about a 401k?

2.) Are you talking about his matching your contributions, or not putting your contributions in? There is a VERY big difference!

3.) If you are talking about his matching your contributions, does the plan document say that the match is discretionary or non-discretionary?

Ptgirl-6

We have a Sep IRA pension plans. The Dr. pays a certain percentage of our salary every year. By law, if he does not give us our retirement check doesn't he have to formally notifiy his employees?

lealea1005

We have a Sep IRA pension plans. The Dr. pays a certain percentage of our salary every year. By law, if he does not give us our retirement check doesn't he have to formally notifiy his employees?

SEP contributions are not required to be made every year.

You already stated that he asked his office manager to inform the employees he was unable to make the contribution this year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">