• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could Travel expenses to see child be considered when deciding on CS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wife-mom-stpmom

What is the name of your state? CA.

My husband is in the military (has been sense before the child was born) and is stationed 7 hours away from his daughter. My husband currently pays $475. a month in CS and it costs us roughly $250. a month to go visit his daughter. We drive there once a month, but don't know if we can keep affording to go with gas prices getting higher and higher. Could the travel expenses be considered if he were to have CS re-evaluated??

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA.

My husband is in the military (has been sense before the child was born) and is stationed 7 hours away from his daughter. My husband currently pays $475. a month in CS and it costs us roughly $250. a month to go visit his daughter. We drive there once a month, but don't know if we can keep affording to go with gas prices getting higher and higher. Could the travel expenses be considered if he were to have CS re-evaluated??
It wouldn't be likely in a situation like this one. Generally it takes a change in circumstance for a judge to consider making that kind of deviation, and nothing has changed here. Mom isn't responsible for the fact that gas prices are so expensive, and the cost of gas doesn't make the child's basic needs any less...in fact, it makes them more because gas prices cause other prices to increase as well.

haiku

If there was a change in child support, or visitation it may be possible, at the judges discretion......but as LDiJ said, I don't think its a reason ALONE to modify...

Zephyr

maybe get a more fuel efficient car, get a credit card where you earn percents back on gas purchases....etc, there are ways to lower your expenses even if it's just a little bit

2Mistakes

get a credit card where you earn percents back on gas purchases....
Chase has a BP credit card. It's not just a gas card, you can use it anywhere for anything. But you get 10% cash back on all BP purchases, 4% cash back on all other travel and dining purchases, and 2% cash back on all other purchases.

I know that doesn't sound like much, but it really does add up quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">