• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1040 filed with W7 for ITINs and IRS says mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vshyamsundar

I live in pennsylvania. I have an SSN; my wife & kid do not have SSNs as they are not citizens and do not have EADs.
I have filed my 1040 for the year 2007. My wife and kid do not have SSN & ITIN. Hence I attached 2 W7 forms applying ITIN numbers for them. I filed "married & filing jointly" type of return. When i checked the status of my return, IRS website says there are mistakes in my return saying no SSN/ITIN is mentioned for my wife & my kid (actually I am applying for ITIN in W7 along with 1040). Also, my refund has been reduced substantially and it is going to be sent in a week.

I did not send the return/ITIN forms to TX office; but sent them to Kansas City, MO.

Please advice on what I need to do.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The following documents will tell you what information you should have sent with your tax return, along with the address to where it should have gone. Generally, you should use a tax professional on these. They are a bear (from the words of a tax professional.)

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

Address to where you SHOULD have mailed your tax return:
Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

LdiJ

I live in pennsylvania. I have an SSN; my wife & kid do not have SSNs as they are not citizens and do not have EADs.
I have filed my 1040 for the year 2007. My wife and kid do not have SSN & ITIN. Hence I attached 2 W7 forms applying ITIN numbers for them. I filed "married & filing jointly" type of return. When i checked the status of my return, IRS website says there are mistakes in my return saying no SSN/ITIN is mentioned for my wife & my kid (actually I am applying for ITIN in W7 along with 1040). Also, my refund has been reduced substantially and it is going to be sent in a week.

I did not send the return/ITIN forms to TX office; but sent them to Kansas City, MO.Please advice on what I need to do.
That was your mistake. The tax return along with the ITIN applications needed to be sent to the Austin TX office.

However, the problem is fixable.

Wait a few weeks after you receive your refund, to make sure that the ITIN applications did not get processed, and then file an amended return, re-adding your wife and child. with new ITIN applications, and send it all to the ITIN unit in Austin TX.

It would be helpful to use a certified acceptance agent to file the amended returns and applications. The amended return is going to be particularly tricky. You will have to recreate the return that the IRS actually processed for you, and then amend from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">