• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shienin

What is the name of your state? OH
My husband filed a petition for me a month ago...until now we havent heard or received news from USCIS. Usually how many months it takes before you know that the application has been denied or approved?

shienin

Thanks for responding.
We applied for the following applications: I-130, I-485 and also EAD. Does it take more than a month to get a receipt notice from the USCIS?

evcalyptos

Thanks for responding.
We applied for the following applications: I-130, I-485 and also EAD. Does it take more than a month to get a receipt notice from the USCIS?
Is your husband a US citizen? Did you enter the US legally?

If yes to the above, you should expect a receipt notice (I-797C letter, also sometimes called NOA1) very soon.
Shortly after that, you should get an appointment letter to have your biometrics (fingerprints) collected for your EAD.

Your EAD should arrive within 90 days of applying.

Within six months of application, you should hear about your AOS (Adjustment of Status) interview, or that your case has been transferred to the California Service Center.
An approval from either of those two events is the conclusion of your AOS case, and you get your Green Card after that.

kdorn

When send in immigration paper, the best way to do is use certified mail with return receipt and pay by personal check so you can track if it was cashed yet. If you still don't hear from them by now. Use the Infopass and go to ask about your case in person. You should use a lawyer since it seem you know very little about how things work.

shienin

Thank you very much for answering my question.
Yes, my husband is a US citizen and I also came legally. I am just concern why we still did not get a receipt notice from USCIS.
Thanks again, and God bless you all.

evcalyptos

Thank you very much for answering my question.
Yes, my husband is a US citizen and I also came legally. I am just concern why we still did not get a receipt notice from USCIS.
Thanks again, and God bless you all.
USCIS is just now catching up with receipts after a very long backlog from this summer. Some people unfortunately waited more than 3 months with no notice that their case had been received, even though it had been.

If you can see the copy of your payment that has been cashed, ie your personal check or a money order, you may find a receipt number on the back. You can use that number to look up your case at uscis.gov
All it will tell you is 'received and pending' at this point.

shienin

I just had my biometrics last friday. Now I am waiting for their decision to whether or not they will approve my EAD application.
I am wondering if I could apply a job while waiting for their decision. Because I hate to see myself not able to contribute in the household expenses and let my husband do all the work.
Please advise.

evcalyptos

I just had my biometrics last friday. Now I am waiting for their decision to whether or not they will approve my EAD application.
I am wondering if I could apply a job while waiting for their decision. Because I hate to see myself not able to contribute in the household expenses and let my husband do all the work.
Please advise.
You may look for work and I suppose apply for jobs, but you may NOT accept employment before you get your EAD. Picky picky details.
You --should--hear about your EAD within 90 days of applying; it usually goes pretty quickly after biometrics.

shienin

I just got an email from USCIS...it says there that they already ordered the card and it will be mailed within 30 days. So I guess I will just wait for the card. I should be able to get it next month or so.
Thank you very much for the advise, and God bless.

shienin

I have a question, I hope you can advise me with this one: Can an H1b visa holder can pose as one of the joint sponsor for a change of status applicant? My brother came here on an H1b visa and he volunteered to be the joint sponsor for my applicatioin. My husband's income is not enough. And I just got a job part-time.

evcalyptos

I have a question, I hope you can advise me with this one: Can an H1b visa holder can pose as one of the joint sponsor for a change of status applicant? My brother came here on an H1b visa and he volunteered to be the joint sponsor for my applicatioin. My husband's income is not enough. And I just got a job part-time.
No, the I-864 clearly says that only US citizens or Permanent Residents who are domiciled (live) in the US can fill it in.

shienin

Hello. It's me again.
First of all I would like to thank you for answering all my questions.
But I do have another question to ask you guys.
I will have my interview on the 3rd of July.

My question is...Can I be the joint sponsor, If my husband's income is not enough to support, since I am working full-time now?

evcalyptos

Hello. It's me again.
First of all I would like to thank you for answering all my questions.
But I do have another question to ask you guys.
I will have my interview on the 3rd of July.

My question is...Can I be the joint sponsor, If my husband's income is not enough to support, since I am working full-time now?
Your husband can complete a new I-864, complete with all the attachments, and may include your legally earned income as a household member/spouse (see the form, it shows where to add your income).
If your joint income is over the poverty guideline for your household size, you can ask the officer at your interview to accept your new I-864 and discard your Joint Sponsor I-864.
It may be at that officer's discretion; some offices are not as willing to cooperate with this, but ask nicely, with a smile and hope for the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">